Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

most portable head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pil101, Feb 14, 2003.

1. pil101

pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    would you guys say the the eden wt 400 head is the most portable? i cant think of anything smaller with the same power

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Yay, I get to jump on this first!:)
    Walter Woods makes amps that are 7lbs and up to about 1200 Watts. Pricey though.
    LM

3. tonru

tonru

Mar 15, 2002
    otherwise,and a little more affordable would be the Acoustic Image Clarus II.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The Acoustic Image Clarus puts out 300w (@ 2ohms) and weighs something like 5 pounds.

edit: ah...tonru must be a hair quicker than I am tonight :)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'd take an EA iAMP350 over the WT400, but that's just me. similar size and weight.

but yea, the Clarus does reign supreme as the lightest.

6. My preference is the Mesa Walkabout, awesome tone, parametric mid EQ, 300 tube watts, 13 lbs, rack mountable if you want.

Here's a picture of my rig, the Mesa is on top (Sadowsky preamp on top of it)

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    [​IMG]

Watts to pounds ratio nothin else is even close (I'm starting to love this pic thing)

AJ

8. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    I love my WT400, with my Eden XLT 4x10 and Cirrus (tigerseye) 4 string. It would be alot lighter if I took it out of the rack its in, but its a nice rack. The only thing I would change is that I wish it could be run at 2 Ohms.

Mr. Pitiful

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The most portable head is on the shoulders right now!!

Pretty(,) powerful and low weight.

But, if I'd need to carry one under my arm, I'd prefer a Clarus, or a WW Ultra.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't the EA heavier? And the Eden has a tube pre-amp, while the EA is all solid-state?

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Everyone fudges their weight ratings. In the under 20-lbs range, I think the iAMP-800 is currently the champ.

The Clarus is best in terms of weight, but it runs at approx. 225W into 4 ohms, and I'd be wary about running anything into 2 ohms, regardless of what the manufacturer says is safe.

If you want to go the pre/power route, I'd say get a Sadowsky/Raven/Tech-21 stompbox and a Peavey DPC or Stewart 1.2, and you'll have a 1000+W package that's around 15 lbs.

12. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Under 20 lbs the champ is definitely a Walter Woods Ultra High Power weighing in @ 7 lbs and putting out 1200 watts @ 4 ohms. Sounds better than the iAmp 800 IMHO.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Two very portable high quality heads are the GK MB150 and the Polytone Taurus.