Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Powerful, Emotional album ever.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JWC, Mar 26, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    My vote has to be Queen's Innuendo. The reason being....

A man knows the end is coming. A man knows his time on Earth is winding down faster and faster. A man is confronted with the propostion on dying and going alone into the unknown. Not with his band. Not with his family. Not with his friends and lovers. But alone.

This album exemplifies the courage of a man facing the inevitable. Fear and courage alike are felt throughout this powerful piece of music. Haunting and captivating. This album was not made to make money. It was possibly going to be Freddy's last statement to the world.

Thats my vote.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Spice Girls, "SpiceWorld" :D

3. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh man, if this didnt hurt so much i'd go find a funny smiley!

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, it did make me cry.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sunny Day Real Estate's "Diary". They're an "emo" band, and for those who don't know (which is basically everybody) emo music is... well.. just very emotional. It's a weird little sub-genre. ANYWAY, their newer stuff does kinda sound like Yes, but "Diary" is their first, and best album.

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I recently got The Gate by Joji Hirota on Realworld Records.

Most of the album is a fusion of western classical music and Japanese tradional music.

The first two tracks bring tears to my eyes... the shakuhachi flute solos and especially the vocals, even though I have no idea what the singer is saying. The melodies just pierce my heart...

7. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    for me, it's "The Soft Bulletin" by the Flaming Lips.

superduck: I love "The Rising Tide", but "Diary" is a little too incoherent for my tastes. it would help if I could understand what Jeremy Enigk was singing...

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's what liner notes are for, my man! I can understand what you're saying, though, a lot of my friends that I get to listen to it say the same thing...

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...A Love Supreme

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Anyone happen to know the name of the drummer for sunny day real estate?

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    William Goldsmith :)

12. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I didn't like Spiceworld very much.. really wasn't my cup of tea. Their first album was cool though. Anyways, the album in question you're all looking for is Karajan's rendition of Bach's mass in b-minor.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's a toss up for me between anything by Ricky Martin and Quadrophenia by The Who:D

14. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    after the goldrush - neil young

live and dangerous - thin lizzy

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I get really moved by Marillion, "Misplaced Childhood". I just love it.

16. Side 2 of Rush's "Caress Of Steel".

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm with Acacia here:
    Thin Lizzy - Live And Dangerous

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are a large number of pieces of music that have an emotional impact on me - like every Mahler symphony for a start - although No. 6 is an incredibly intense experience live.

Gorecki's Symphony No. 3 always moves me and I can't help feeling emotional when it gets to the poems written by concentration camp victims.

The end of Walton's 1st Symphony has a huge emotional release after such a turbulent work - which was apparently inspired by a love affair!

There are also some amazingly emotional moments in quite a few of Shostakovich's symphonies.

If we're talking about Karajan's work - the slow movement of Bruckner's 8th Symphony - live version with the Vienna Philharmonic - always makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There are so many "emotional albums" that to list them would just defy space and time limitations. Plus each genre of music seems to have its own special album.

So, I'll just choose one in a genre nobody else has mentioned here, nor do I believe they will. The late 1940s musical by Rogers and Hammerstein "South Pacific" never fails to reach me. One of the musical's best known songs, "Some Enchanted Evening," may be one of the all time most romantic songs ever written, maybe a good topic for another thread.

Don't get me wrong, though. Many other genre's have emotional music. I love Tchycovshy's "Swan Lake" and his "Piano Concerto Number One in B Flat Minor, Opus 23." Also Beethoven's Fifth and Ninth Symphonies.

I found Pearl Jam's first album resonnated with me in a very intense way, not replicated by them since.

But I could go on and on...but I'll spare all of you.

jo

20. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    As much as I love classical music (sorry, but Wagner kicks Mahler's @$$, and Tchaichovsky could take Shostakovich any day, although von Karajan is THE man ;) ), if we're talking ALBUMS, I have to go with

Pink Floyd's The Wall. No question.

But if the question is "Most Powerful, Emotional PIECE of music ever," I have to go with Alfred Reed's "Russian Christmas Music." Yeah, I know it's high school, but no matter how many times I play it/hear it, it takes me back to a wonderful place. It moves me like nothing else.

Good on ya for the thread, JWC.