1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

most precision-like Split-Jazz Bass Replacement ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Sep 4, 2008.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hi all, im replacing the pickups in a sx short-scale jazz bass. since i´ve allways digged the mustang sound (early czukay!) and i allready have a regular jazz bass i though of replacing the pickups with some split coils.

i guess im looking for the p-sound under a jazz hood. all i can find is people talking about how single-coil their hum cancelling splits sound, while im interested in the exact oposite.
    at least in the neck pickup, i guess i´ll try to find a single-coil humbucking pickup for the bridge (burp!)

so, any ideas about getting the precision sound under a jazz bass cover?

2. firstly, as you've already answered yourself, jazz splits are voiced to sound like single-coils, not P-pickups.

The reason a P sounds like a P:

1) the shape..P's are wider and staggered.
    2) the winds...P's generally have 10-12k worth of winds, while J's have 5-7 on the neck pup

so with that said, look for a split-coil J with the highest DCR (kOhms) that will be your closest bet.

3. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    You may want to contact pickup manufacturers and talk about a custom order. I guess almost all split-coil manufacturers shoot for a "single-coil without hum" tone. What you're looking for, at least closer to that, should be achieved through a custom wound pickup.

4. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hum---- woudnt a custom order be too pricey for a sx project?

(I have no idea about how much could it be...)

i though that maybe someone before me wanted to fit a p sound under a jazz cover... or that there was some splits more precision sounding than other or whatever...

hopefull someone knows if theres something that sounds closer than the other splits...

right now im going trough reviews... :help:

5. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Well, Aero PJ is advertised as "P Bass Style Pickup in a J Bass Shape". You may want to contact them.

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If you want a single-coil without humming, the NJ4SV has been regarded as "close enough". Otherwise, most split-coils don't aim for the single sound.

7. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    BP magazine:"The NJ4SVs are Nordstrand’s “split vintage” set. He designed them to sound as close as possible to the NJ4s but to cancel hum. He nailed it."

but it´s good to know...

im doing homework on the aero pj4

:D

8. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hey there HeavyFunkMachin, the DiMarzio Model J has some of that sound, whompin' lows and lowmids with sort of rolled off highs. They're cheap too!

zapped777 likes this.
  9. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Let us know what you come up with.

10. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i´ll let you know how it is...

EXPENSIVE!!

:bag:

it looks realy good, and with no money restrictions i would get the for sure. they are p splits under a j cover!

anyway, im still open for ideas, but after reading a bit, im goning to go for the dimarzio j for the neck and some stack humbucker for the bridge (i´ve heard they keep closer to the single coil sound)

and some serious shielding!!! (i´ve been turned into a noisy freak :smug:)

if any of you have any suggestions about the most vintage-true-single coil stach humbucker out there, let me know!!!

(suggestions welcomed!)
    :bassist:

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Look at the Delano JC 4/5 HE for the neck - seems to get closer to an aggressive P sound in a J form factor than anything else I've tried, and has high output too. In fact you'll need a bridge J pickup that can keep up with it in terms of output.

Stacks don't even come close.

12. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    I'm looking for the same recipe but for a 5 project. (2J, but will go to PJ if I can't find the right configuration)

Like some of the other makers, Barts advertise their Split J as a "P in a box"

If your buying new, a custom order from Fralin doesn't seem to be any more than in-store price. Tell him what you're looking for, and if its not right I believe he'll re-wind them to get closer to the sound your looking for. Seems easy enough.

I would imagine you'll have to find a good bridge pup to match the neck.

13. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yay! :hyper: I think you'll be happy with that combo!

14. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    There is as J replacement pickup called a linear humbucker. Fralin and Duncan used to make them, if they're not at present I'm sure someone is, possibly that's what the Aero is. This will get you as close to a P tone as possible from a jazz pickup.

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    That's what the Delano I mentioned is - inline dual coils - almost like pulling the two halfs of a P pickup into one line. Others have this too, but the Delano seems to be wound closer to the P output and punch, with maybe more tonal flexibility due to its magnetic design.

16. +1

17. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Exactly how the Nordy NJ4SVs work. Of course, there's always the option of using Villexes, which are a blade design, as opposed to models individual polepieces.

18. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i´ve been asking this question around, and here are some answers:

VILLEX:

"Villex single coils and split coil linear humbuckers sound very
    similar (I am not able to tell the difference). Therefore, for your
    purposes I'd recommend ordering a set of linear humbucker jazz
    pickups.

With best regards,

Tigran Arzumanov
    Villex Europe"

DIMARZIO:

Our Jazz Bass replacement pickups are all hum-cancelling, and they are built in the same way as a Precision pickup (one coil per string pair). You would probably do best with the Ultra Jazz set (DP149).

BASSCULTURE.DE

hi jaime,
    you know, the problem is, to match a stacked, lownoise (singlecoil) bridgepickup and a splitcoil neck,
    but we can do this. any way you´ll have to realize, that a splitcoil put inside a jazzbass-cover is not the same
    as a preci-style splitcoil because you do not have the same space for wide coils inside a jazzbasspickup
    as inside a precipickup and last but not least, the coils are in line and not slanted as the precipickup is.
    a set with closed plastic covers and neodyme magnets is availale at 159,- EUR. shipping cost depend on where you are situated. any question, just ask.
    chr.

:ninja:

19. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Get a set of Dimarzio J's and wire a switch or push-pull knob so you can have the two pickups together in parallel wiring or series wiring. Then you'll get closer to a P's sound and output. But you won't be able to blend like you can with a PJ.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Dimarzios really don't sound a bit like a P Bass to me. Quiet they are, lifeless too ... no real hi's, no real low's, lot's of low mids. As you can tell - I'm not a fan... I have yet to hear a stacked humbucker in a J form factor that I liked though. I am totally biased towards single coils in other words.

To my ear the split coil designs have the advantage of retaining the clarity and the edge I associate with a good single coil pickup. The Nord Big Split does this really well. Sounds like a big honkin' P-Bass pickup in there! Very cool but not the right form factor to retain the stock J appearance.

I'm working with a prototype J form factor pickup from Vintage Vibe. Mine is a bridge length split coil designed for a more P like voicing. I'm about to order the other for the neck position as I really like it so far.

A key difference is that you can't get the same output level as a P. There is only so much room under the Jazz cover. Physically it isn't possible to get all that wire and magnet under that hood! So you have toget your head around the concept that voicing and output level are related but independant of each other.

So my bass is a little lower output but has a throatier voice than my other Vintage Vibe equipped J. No big deal -there are a bunch of ways to compensate for that.

That pickup was I think about $80. More dough that the Dimarzio and most Duncan's - sounds like it too...