1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most "pure" 5/6 bass you have experienced?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chasarms, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    This is probably a re-hash to some degree, but I did browse and search a bit and did not get at this topic especially.

I recently started playing a Dingwall Afterburner II, and after some time with it, I can't help with being impressed with how "pure" the tone of the instrument is on the B string and across all strings. That is, to greatest degree I have experienced, EVERY NUANCE of the tone including the attack, the texture, color, etc. matches more perfectly with the tone of the other strings than any other bass I have ever played.

Other basses that I have owned, like Sadowsky, Modulus and Roscoe, had this trait as well to some degree, but this bass is obviously superior to them all, to my ear, in this regard.

So, I am curious as to others' experiences with this. What other basses have you enjoyed that have the least obvious "disconnect" in the tone across the strings?

To borrow a line from an old Modulus review, which bass sounds like "one big string" no matter where you are on the neck?

2. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    Since I have never tried a 5'ver dingwall.. My vote goes to Sadowsky for now and IME Lakland's is too tight, EBMM's is kinda floppy and Fenders is floppy..

3. I have yet to try a Dingwall or fanned frets, although I have a fanned fret acoustic 7 string guitar on order.....

While my Conklin's C string is a tad on the thin side, I don't have a single complaint about my Rob Allen or Cliff Bordwell 6 strings. My 35" scale Rob Allen has a phenominal C string, which most people would swear is impossible. My 34" scale CB also has a great B and good overall string to string consistency.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have had the pleasure of playing a good number of very fine instruments, and I do think that Sheldon's basses do have some fairly unique magic. Sheldon works very, very hard to build a bass that is as good as he can make it, and the fanned frets are just one of the techniques he employs. The woods he uses, and the way that he puts his basses together, plus the electronics (he winds his own pickups) have a lot to do with this. Dingwalls are truly exceptional instruments.

That being said, some other basses do exhibit some similar traits to what you are describing. I'll leave the more traditionally inspired instruments out of the equation (Sadowsky, Alleva, Celinder, etc), but if you like what your Dingwall does, then you may also want to check out a Skjold bass. Again, Sheldon has his own thing going on, but I think that Pete Skjold's basses are probably the closest I can think of to matching that "pure" Dingwall tone.

I have also heard some basses from MTD, Drozd, Ritter, and others which were somewhat similar in tone to a Dingwall in this "pureness" sense.

There are lots of really nice basses out there, and Sheldon is certainly one of the best luthiers out there, IME/IMHO.

Tom.

5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Okay, I'm intrigued...
    I LOVE the sound concept of "one big string"... that's what I tend to look for in an instrument.

The hallmark of a cheapie to me is that "Boom, bam, plonk, tink" as you go across the strings. I HATE that.

6. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    + 1 on the Skjold comparison.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I've owned MTD, Pedulla, Lakland, Ric Turner, Lull, and old vintage Fenders.

I've been looking for that pure tone you speak of for a long time.

As nice as the above basses I mentioned were.
    My new Marco Bass Jazz 5, and a Roscoe SKB 3006 I have on order. ( I hope?)
    Will fit the bill.
    I just love the Roscoe tone that Keith's basses have.
    And my Marco Bass Jazz 5, has a tone that is a cross between
    A Fender Jazz and a MTD 535.
    Very ever and woody, but tight and focused.
    Everyone is different, there is no right or wrong.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I played a Dingwall Combustion and the Circle K balanced tension strings I have on all of my basses seem to be right in line tonally.

Slanted pickups and strings of balanced tension are the key behind consistent tone.

9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I try to choose ALL my basses this way. Most succeed to a degree.

I've never played a Dingwall so I can't say about that. But I'd say my Modulus is the best of my herd.

Also close behind are my Alembic, Ken Smith Conklin and G&L. Even my bar basses (SX) are reasonably even. The one I think needs the most work is my MIM Jazz V. It's not bad, only a "B" but maybe I just expect more out of it? Carbon neck modulus does get the prize though.

But like I said, that's how I choose basses. If they don't measure up (like my old Aria Pro II) they get sold.

10. I Lol'd when I saw this. Sooooooooooo true.

Now if I tune to my guitarist, instead of asking for his 'A' I'll ask him to play a 'bam' :ninja:

Or since it's guitar, are they all 'tink'?
    :ninja: :bag: :ninja:

11. Mr Guy

Mr Guy

Sep 27, 2010
    Had a custom F Bass 6 .... 28 fret maple board. Still the bass to beat for that "one long string" thing. Recorded amazingly well.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My Fodera has that characteristic.