Most Radical sounding Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeff schmidt, Sep 11, 2004.

1. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    It seems as though most basses - even high end boutique bassess offer a range of fairly predictable sounds centered around the classic bass sound we all know and love.

So my question is - who is making bassess that just sound freakin bizarre - or radical in comparison to the various versions of the "fender" sound most basses are based around?

I'm not talking about effects - but basses that have really said - F^% YOU FENDER! sonically speaking.

2. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Maybe a Gretsch hollowbody? Gibson Farter..I mean Ripper?
  3. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    My shedua Wal Mach II 5er will drop kick you right in the chest, as will my Celinder P5, and my Benavente 219B. I would also think any Alembic Series II would be about as far from a Fender tone as you could get - not that there is anything wrong with Fender tone!
  4. Rickenbacker has its own unique kind of sound.
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    SD Curlee
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Right! They were the first I heard that offered a radical difference.
  7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Does the Stingray count?

The Ritters I've tried were pretty wild.
  8. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Wow - aside from the Rics and Alembics- I've never even heard of some of these basses.

Any idea where sounds of these basses can be found?

I've seen Ritters - and simply assumed they were radical body designs but probably sounded similar to everything else.
  9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
  10. Some radical departures (most are also mentioned in above posts) from the Fender sound:
    Music Man

Not as radical, but basses I own that are definitely not Fender sounding:

My Tune ZiIII (with neck pickup only) sounds very 'Precisiony', but with both pickups, it sounds nothing like a Fender. The midrange voicing has a totally different character.

My Pedulla ThunderBass (with Bartolinis) sounds somewhat similar to other high-end Bart-equipped basses, but sounds nothing like a P or J to me. Again, the midrange character is completely different from the Fender Precision / Jazz sound.
  11. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Ibanez SRX 505, sounds nothing like a fender, hell modern, very different
  12. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    then again SRX aint a high end bass:)
  13. Gibson Ripper? I dont think so. You just assumed all gibson are mud, Which they arent. The Ripper actully sounds quite fenderish. Its long scale, 2 pickups, made of all maple... pretty bright and punchy sounding...

Now a EB-0 on the other hand... that's mud! I would say an Gibson EB-0 is quite far away from the fenderish sound.
  14. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    My Dean B2-5 Brian Bromberg bass sounds nothing like a Fender, unless I ask it very nicely...then it can get an in-yo-face and pull-no-punches vintage Jazz sound. Of course, the piezos in the bridge and the Barts I put in it sound UNREAL! 3-band EQ on the mags and 2-band on the piezos from Fishman help too... :D
    And my Lightwave Saber-C 5 rocks just as hard in a different way. Talk about a recording bass wet dream! NO noise at all, just rich, deep bass you can feel! Midrange takes some getting used to, but the low end just ROCKS!
  15. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Definitely Rickenbacker. Even with different pickups, a Rick still sounds like a Rick. They must soak their wood in special mojo juice or something.
  16. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The Ripper don't deserve that.
  17. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
  18. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i played a used mosrite that i thought was an alembiv in diguise but it was only a mosrite