1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most recognizable bass lines not played by a bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Oneirogenic, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I was just thinking about how pretty much everyone knows the bass line to "seven nation army" and its not even played by a bass, Seinfeld is very recognizable too and is played by a keyboard. Any other good examples?

2. bassisten

bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Herbie Hancock's "Chameleon" is a legendary bass line, played by a synth (by Hancock).

3. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    99 Luftballon by Nena.

4. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Alannah Myles, Black Velvet.

Incredibly cool line, too. :)

5. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    That's played on a bass, though.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Seinfeld.

7. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Superstition :)

8. Boogie on reggae woman - Stevie Wonder

9. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
  10. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Break on Through by the Doors. I believe it was done on Ray Manzerek's infamous Fender Rhodes Bass Piano.

11. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    Lou Reed's "Walk On the Wild Side" is technically not "a" bass, but 2 basses. An upright and an electric a 10th higher.

12. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
  13. Superstition was the first one that popped to mind, but since it's already mentioned,

I'll go with Madonna's "Borderline" and "Get into the Groove". Not my favorite genre, but Kudos to the ladies and gentlemen who created it, and I also sincerely wish the royalties still flowing from those ditties were landing in my mailbox.

14. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    "Flash Light" - Parliament

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My '80s band did a lot of Madonna...I have the LP & Anthony Jackson is listed as bass for "Borderline". Not sure why.

We also did this one...like 2 times through so it became a 7-8 minute marathon. This was far worse than our '2-times through' version of "Billie Jean".

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...another one we played, easy/sounds good on EB.
    FWIW, I saw Alannah & band do this live in a small venue. Same bassist & Kubicki bass that was in the official video...came off exactly like the record (I was looking; his hands were in 'the right places').

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ..also sounds like the guitar is doubling it.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, Jackson is actually playing a funky guitarish figure somewhere up & above the 12th fret.

19. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Same for the song, WHEN THE MUSIC'S OVER (The Doors)

20. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I thought it was a Kubicki bass, based on my (fuzzy) recollection of the music video. I'm glad there was a reason to think it was done on a bass, even if it was not that way in the studio.