1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most Similar Stingray Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BlackFenderBass, Sep 22, 2010.

1. BlackFenderBass

BlackFenderBass

Aug 9, 2009
    Hey,
    I was just wondering what you guys think the best non-musicman pickup that is most similar to the stingray pickup. I heard the basslines/seymour duncan one was similar, but when I heard some samples I couldn't find the stingray tone in them.

Thanks
    Kyle J.

2. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I searched on TB for the same answer and found that a slight majority preferred the Nordy copy although it would be hard for me to believe that Seymour didn't get it right.

In regards to tone, John K and I agree on most things bass; he said he had good luck with SD.

My thinking is that they both probably work great and it was either some bad recording or odball EQ the player was going for on those clips.

I bought the Nordy to install in a project but have been backlogged with life ....

3. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    I know that the Seymour Duncan ceramic pickup sounds just like the ones used on Sterling and Stingray 5 basses.
    With the alnico pickups i dont have experience.

4. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    My new Nordstrands really do capture the old Stingray sound...imho

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what happened to the original? did someone sneak up on your bass with wire cutters when you weren't looking?

6. BlackFenderBass

BlackFenderBass

Aug 9, 2009
    Actually, I was looking into purchasing the new SX bass with the humbucker, replacing it with the pickup discussed here, and buying an audere preamp to put in.

7. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    I got news for you... that bass will never sound like a Musicman.
    The pickup location is not where it should be.

8. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I have to comment on the SD. I read on Wikipedia that there was a SD-designed humbucker on John Myungs signature Yamaha (the RBX one). He used it on Octavarium. Sounds damn close to a StingRay IMO, but a bit darker I would say. Listen to Panic Attack for a clear shot.

BTW, I posted this thread a couple of days ago as well. Didn't yield much success as well.

9. BlackFenderBass

BlackFenderBass

Aug 9, 2009
    I figured as much, but I would still rather have the closest thing possible to the tone then have a piece of crap pickup as far away from the sound

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021