Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Simplistic Looper for 100% Looping Newb

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassin' 'Round, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Love the idea of a looper, but I don't even know which end is up when it comes to them.

What is the VERY easiest onew/the shortest learning curve?

Maybe the Boomerang+? When will the 'Rang be out?

How about the EHX 16-Second Delay (they're supposed to soon have a new model that eliminates the 4-count problem, I think)?

Any opinions welcomed. Thanks.

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I think that the Boss RC-20 is a great first looper. It works well, has a good feature set, easy to use, good sound, and plays well with other pedals. It has enough capability to keep you busy as you get used to it, but it is easy to use. The older pre-XL RC-20's sell regularly in the $150 range. I just picked up an RC-20XL here on TB for $250. They run between $275 and $300 new.

I think that the 'Rang is overkill for a first looper, it has a very big footprint, and I wasn't crazy about the audio quality on mine.

If you wanted to do simple loops and maybe also wanted a delay then the Bodd DD-20 has a sound on sound function, and the Line6 DL4 does too. Both have good models of useful delays, and you can loop with them. The SOS on the DD-20 is super easy, lets you overdub, and has 100 secs of loop time, but has no ability to save or remember loops.

3. another vote for the RC20 or digitech jamman...they are pretty easy to catch on to!

4. The DL-4 has a very short sample time/capacity- 14/28 seconds; so although it's very easy to use, I wouldn't recommend it as a first looper, unless you wanted all the delays as well.