1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

most stingray sounding pup for an OLP MM2?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ghostjs, Sep 27, 2009.

1. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    no sarcasm please! im looking at Seymour Duncans but im open to anything of that is in that price range. i also dig the open poles a bunch

2. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I hear SD Basslines capture the StingRay's bright tone nicely, while Bartolinis stray into mudsville... I have no experience with aftermarket MM pups, or desire to swap the stock one in my SR. Just repeating what I've heard. ;)

SD also has an active preamp, which you will need to go all the way.

3. why don't you try to find a stock MM pup to put in?

4. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    olp mm2 are passive basses and its hard to find an original pup

5. chuckocaster

chuckocaster

Apr 27, 2005
    manteca, ca
    i just picked up a 5 string OLP on the cheap, and put a nordstrand 5.2 in it. i also put in new pots, cap and an series/parallel switch. my first gig with it was tonight and i was really impressed with the tone. i'd been noodling on it here at the house a little bit dialing in the action and pup height. onstage it sounded very nice, having a round tone with plenty of cut. i'm more of a 51 type p bass player, and have only played a stingray on a couple of occasions, but i really liked the way it sounded. like i said, it was round and deep sounding with plenty of punch and cut. if that makes any sense. mine is passive, i'm not much for actives. but the tone knob did plenty for me, leave it full up and it's really articulate. roll it back about halfway and it warms up without being muddy. all the way off for super smooth. the pup cost me about 115 bones, and while i was at it i put a set of DR sunbeams on it.

here it is as it looks now.
    5ertop.
    i'm going to get a custom guard for it as i don't want three knobs. but this'll do for now.

6. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    There's a guy on the UK Bass Chat who installed a Nordstrand p/up and East pre amp in his OLP Tony Levin with great results.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I liked the Nordstrand 4.2 - that's the Alnico magnet version in a Lakland 4402. Supposedly they re-engineered an early 'ray when they did that one. A nice blend of punchy and detailed. Needless to say it smoked the Bartolini that came out...

8. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    hmm how bout seymour duncan STC 3M3? is that and a SMB4D enough to makr my bass active?