Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

most strings on a bass?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Lozenger, May 24, 2003.

1. Lozenger

Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    how many strings can you get on a bass that hasn`t been tampered with and what is the most strings you have seen?

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I got an econo p-bass and made it from a four string to a five w/a new nut and bridge and found the strings too close together and the tension on the neck a little brutal. the 'b' was kind of flabby too. I made it back to it's four string way and sold it. that's my only experience w/a five string - maybe ten or eleven years ago.

on bass, watt

3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    There is also the option of going up to a stock 6 string bass (One added low string one added high from a conventional 4 string bass). Many major manufacturers make these (Ibanez, Washburn, etc.) I have even seen a 7 string bass (a Conklin Custom Shop deal). Then the next leap would be to an 8 string, which is only slightly larger in neck width than a 4 string and employs the same basic premise as a 12 string guitar. It is a set of standard strings with a second set of strings for an octave above that is strung slightly above and below the main set. Going above that I have even seen 12 string basses, going yet another additional octave above the 8 string. Giving you a root-octave-2nd octave sound. Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam uses these alot, they are made by Hamer. A Hamer 8 string is how he got the chorusy sound for the intro to Jeremy.

4. watt

hi,

once I played an eight string bass in berlin for a fIREHOSE encore at a gig where a friendly bassist really wanted me to play his machine and it sounded kind of like a piano! we did a cover of public enemy's "sophisticated..." - I think each pair was the root and an octave... I think it was b.c. rich bass.

on bass, watt

5. I was wondering when 12-strings were going to come up in this thread. :) tom petersson from cheap trick's main thunderboom is usually a hamer 12-string - witness "gonna raise hell" on dream police for a loud-and-clear example of t.p. on the 12.

6. How about an 18-string? This was made by Vox Humana in the Netherlands. Modulus made one too.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I was wondering when somebody would make a bass that had octaved strings based off of a 5 or 6 string. It was only a matter of time I suppose.
    Crazy!! I'd say you won that little competition. Thanks for the info.

8. watt

whoa,

now this must have one wide neck, huh? damn!

on bass, watt

9. watt,

makes a five-string's neck look like the little bass's, doesn't it? ;)

ceej

10. watt

ceej,

the little bass (eb-3) has a neck about as wide as a regular one, it's just shorter in length. maybe that's what you meant though, huh (length-wise)? width-wise though, these basses w/all the strings must take a new approach to playing them!!!

on bass,watt

11. watt,

I was actually thinking width. I haven't had the pleasure of trying your little bass yet (then again, I didn't have the nerve to ask when I saw you in Philly!) so I can't say for sure about neck length. The string spacing and relative neck width on my own pentagon thud staff (fender custom shop 5-string j-bass) isn't much different than my other basses but I think my white kramer focus "project mersh" bass (as I call it for certain reasons) has the longest neck.

ceej

12. bill "buddah" dickens plays one of these -a 9 string bass all single strings meaning no octaves

13. watt

hey,

whoa! what are the notes of each string (if you know)?

on bass, watt

14. i have no idea but i would i magine low to high

BEADGBEAD

15. watt

hmm...

what's stopping him from going to a ten string (and get two whole octaves of open strings!)?

on bass, watt

16. i suppose that the neck is already thick enough i think to stringds would make the neck 1 foot thick near the body if it isint already

17. watt

hmm...

thick being the neck's front-to-back dimension or what I call it's width, outside the high string to outside the low string?

on bass, watt

18. outside high to outside low (width)

19. watt

whoa!

oh man!

on bass, watt

20. low to high F#BEADGCFBb

here's a pic-

[​IMG]