Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most suitable 100 watt amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PlayBass, Aug 20, 2005.

1. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    I am currently trying to search for a 100watt bass amplifier. My budget is $400-500 CDN. I have tried the Fender Rumble 100 which is selling for $410 and also the Yorkville X100C for $445. I play worship and rock, and I really liked the warm punchy sound the Yorkville amp provided; however, it doesn't have as many options as the Fender amps. Another amplifier I am interested in is the Fender Bassman 100 Combo for $475, yet I still haven't tried yet due to lack of stock. I play small gigs roughly around 200-300 people and I practise with a loud drummer. Are there any other amps out there that would fit my Mexican-made Fender Standard Precision Bass? I'm hoping my next amplifier will last me for a while. On top of that I play finger-style mostly, if that would help. Again, I am on a strict budget, any suggestions would be most pleasant. Thank you.

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    for 500$ CDN I'd imagine you could get a peavey tnt 115.

Not the most portable amp out there 85 lbs, but alot louder than the ones you mentioned. I use one with 2 guitarists who have 120 watt 212 combo's, and it suits me very well, however I will be upgrading to a more portable rig once enough $$ is saved up. But it gets the job done very well.

Another good combo would be the workingman series from SWR. Also ashdown makes good combo's the blueline and the mag series would both fit in your budget I believe.

Hopefully you can figure something out dude!

-Rob

3. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    Thanks,

Is Peavey a reliable brand compared to Fender? And what's so significant about a tweeter?

4. metallicaorion

metallicaorion

May 31, 2005
    Oswego IL
    Fender and peavy tough choice.....

I was at band practice today and my friend has a fender rumble 100. he has run that thing forever and its been beaten up and it sill sounds good. the peavey is basicly like a tank and it will never lose that good sound. best idea is to try both and see what you like better. i personally would go with the fender but thats me.

5. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I a/b ed a fender rumble 100 and a peavey tnt 115. I got so much more volume out of the peavey than the fender, I had the pre gain on 4 and the master volume on 4 and I was rocking the store I was playing at. I got a good useable tone within a minute, the peavey has a speaker jack out so you can hook another 4ohm cab to it to get 200 watts (100 watts goes to the internal speaker the other 100 goes the cab you hooked up). DI out, 7band EQ, Loads of extra features the fender didn't have.

The fender felt weak, just the touch of the pots seemed like poor construction, the low end from the fender compared to the peavey on a scale from 1-10 to be about a 4. Didn't have extention speaker jack, construction felt weak stated above, the speaker in it sounded clanky and lack of definition.

fender is cheaper, but ya get what ya pay for.

I left with the peavey.....

Took her home fired her up and jammed the night away, next day I had my 2 guitarists come over, had to EQ it a bit to get a good sound out of it no biggie more tonal capabilities then the fender IMO.

We jameed for about 1hour and a half, non stop going through songs were have been working on, never broke a sweet, I had the master volume @ 12oclock and the pre gain set at about 11 o clock boosted the mids and kept everything else flat.

My guitarists were playing through 212 120 watt combo's and they were cranked, I could walk outside of my house and still hear em playing and I could still be heard over them.

I've also used my tnt on various gigs at my church, everyone else BUT me goes through the PA I had the settings on the tnt set the same as above for my church gigs.

I took my tnt to a school concert, we had 1 keyboard, vocals, and 3 guitars all useing 65 or more watt combo's and I had my amp turned up to 4 on the master and 4 on the pre gain, I was the loudest out of all of em besides the vocals.

The only downside is it is heavey get a dolly or some strong friends to help you move it. I've had it for a year and it has never quit on me, comes with a 3 year warrenty and an optioanl extended 2 year warrenty thanks to peavey.

Casters are also a nice added + I don't have any but wish I could get some, I have lugged my amp all over the place I even dropped it going up some stairs about 2 steps from the top it slipped out of my hands and curplop, made a good solid thud, and it has worked fine ever since (this happened about 7 months after I had it)

Has a top handle which is awkword to carry so I lift it up with my arms wraped around it + I'm 6'4 so I have lot more leverage.

Overall a great small-medium gigging combo there are better out there but for the price new+5 year warrenty don't think so.

-Rob

6. Dan the Lorp

Dan the Lorp

Aug 30, 2005
    NW Florida
    I have a Crate BX-100, with a 15 inch speaker. This thing plays loud with some good, deep bass. I also have a 100 Watt Carvin with a ten inch. The Crate kills the Carvin, way better tone, and plays much louder and clean.

I payed $300 new for the Crate around 3 years ago, and for the price I don't think you could get anything better.

7. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Gallien Krueger Backline 115 for me.
    Great sound, versatile, compact, not too heavy, affordable.

I thank you, Alan

8. core

core

Aug 4, 2005
    Does that Crate come with a built-in tuner? I'm wondering how well it works/tracks, since I think that would be a pretty useful feature. Is the amp heavy or awkward to carry? And do you know if it can match up with a drummer? lol, sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to buy a ~100 watt amp and the Crate was one of the ones I've been curious about.

:)

9. Hey PlayBass,

Why don't you head on down to Long & McQuade and rent something. After a month, if you like it then buy it. It'll be much cheaper than new and you know it works because you've tried it at home, at the rehearsal and at the gig for the last month. You can't go wrong.

And with $400-500 CDN as your budget, you could certainly afford the 200 watt XM200 from the L&M rental department. (http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=15&id=197)

10. Try the AMPEG BA115. If you like it, really like it, then PM me. I Live in Toronto and want to sell mine. It is in incredible shape and sounds great. I do not have room for my practice amp and regular amp.

Al

11. Well you said you like "warm" sound and well get a Pignose BX100 it's an ALL tube 100W monster with a lprice of like 425 or something you can get it seperate or with a 15" combo

12. Most of the public schools around here use Peavey TNT's or TKO's because even 7th graders can't kill em.