1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MOST TENSE ROUNDS and FLATS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GTH007, Jun 28, 2016.

1. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    - Im looking to get LOWEST ACTION possible by using the MOST TENSE string.

- I want the fretboard to be Just About straight so the strings will lightly graze the fretboard evenly( looking for that growl)

- Since i'm looking for growly low mid, what string has the most HARMONIC OVERTONES?

2. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    My attack is aggressive sometimes so i need the string to not rattle as much. Should i go flatwounds? Any flats that sound 'growly'?

I use GHS Boomers now and am satisfied with the tone but am curious about DR Low Riders or any High Tensity string.

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Fender flats are growly.
    But you would have to put up with a semi floppy E string.
    55/70/90/105
    Pretty tight except for the E.
    Ernie Ball dosent have as much growl but you can get a custom set and go as extreme as you like.

GTH007 likes this.
  4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Jamerson set of LaBellas is intense.
    But I don't hear growl with those.

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

D'Addario XL's and Chromes, GHS Boomers and Roto flats and rounds. Personally I find the XL's and Chromes unbearably stiff, as well as the Boomers. The Rotos are slightly more bearable. This is in comparison to virtually every other brand of string I've ever tried across types. YMMV.

GTH007 likes this.
  6. petrus61

DR Lo-Riders are one of the more flexible hex-core strings out there. Certainly the stiffest of the DR line, but compared to other brands are relatively less tense, ime. Tonally, I would take them over Boomers.

Gogalaps, Double Agent and GTH007 like this.
  7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    This has been my experience as well. When people talk about how stiff Lo Riders are, it's in comparison with other DR strings. They aren't any stiffer than any other hex-core roundwound and are actually less stiff than some.

OP, I recommend stepping up a gauge (50-110 instead of 45-105) and getting a setup done by a good tech.

GTH007 likes this.
  8. petrus61

Good point. If your frets are level and crowned properly and aren't overly worn, you should be able to get away with even not-so-tense strings, even with a low relief. A step up in gauge, or a step over to flats in same or slightly lower gauge can offset the "rattle" of a heavy attack, but you still might get some choking out. I also obsess over the lowest possible action and came to the conclusion that a good neck with good fretwork is ultimately what got me where I wanted, because my hands were still sensitive to the tension regardless of relief/action. I play with TI flats, Labella 43-104 flats and 45-105 Sunbeams with stupid low action, a fairly heavy attack and I'm quite happy.

GTH007 likes this.
  9. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Nice stuff. So how about GHS Pressurewounds?
    Or what other flat is good that still has a growly roundwound tone?
    I slap a lot, and need a stiff E and A string especially.

I actually am looking for a fat mellow slap tone, i hate overly bright and harsh highes from popping. I want popping to sound more like its being slapped honestly.
    It seems like popping sounds too thin sometimes too as compared to slapping the string.

10. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Chromes.

11. Rotosound Steve Harris RS77s.

12. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Seattle WA area
    Big fan of TI Power Bass strings. Not cheap, but the best strings I have ever tried!

gadgetgirl likes this.
  13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    the Red Coppers are perfect for extreme low action, imo. a unique voice, taunt but comfy, and look cool @ ElectricBass

14. My MIA Jazz with Sadowsky flats had lots of growl, especially with the bridge pick-up favoured by al little bit.

15. Gogalaps

Gogalaps

Mar 17, 2015
    US
    Try DAddario NYXL. They have a lot of tension, but pretty comfortable. Good for wide range of styles. They loose a little in lows but steadily compensate it with low mids.

16. Beavisplaysbass

Beavisplaysbass

Dec 11, 2015
    Roto 66's for ROUNDS. Roto 77's or Chromes for FLATS.

17. I think you are kind of contradicting yourself. Super low action and a heavy hand will always result in string buzz especially with roundwounds.

That said rotosound steel rounds are quite high tension. The standard is the RS66LD but there is a heavier gauge (.050 to .110) that could be interesting to you.

The rotosound flats would also be interesting for you I think. They are very bright for flats, they have less rattle and even higher tension. To this day I have not played another string set with as much tension as their .050 set. The .045 is my go-to flatwound set.

A guy above suggested the rotosound steve harris set. That set is the same as the .050 flatwound set but with different silk colour ends.

GroovinOnFunk and Klonk like this.
  18. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Gah, you beat me to it, sir.

/\/\3phist0 and Bassic Playing like this.
  19. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    La Bella 1954

20. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    I distinctly remember someone saying the SH set now comes with the strings polished smoother than in the standard set, FWIW and assuming IRC.