Most Thump for P-Bass and Flats

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bgavin, Feb 12, 2003.

1. With my MIM Precision, I went from the stock pickups to Duncan Hot P, and currently the DiMarzio Will Power Middle (DP146). The stock pickups had thump, but neither the Duncan nor the DiMarzio have it.

I'm looking for comments about user experiences with P pickups that really thump with flats, especially TI Jazz Flats.

Anybody have experience with MIA stock, '62 RI, Duncan Vintage or QuarterPound, Fralin, Aero, or ??

Looking for maximum thump.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    bgavin , didja get my e-mail? Anyway, the thumpiest pup I've used so far (it almost hurts with flatwounds) is the Duncan SPB-1.

Incidentally, TI's don't seem as thumpy to me as "traditional" flats like 9050's.
  3. Did not get email. I run my own mail servers, and have VIGOROUS anti-spam controls set up on them. If your ISP landed in the RBL (real time black hole list) I reject all mail that comes from RBL sites.

If your ISP mail server has a corrupted DNS record, I reject all that mail too. Email has to have a valid reverse DNS lookup or it gets bounced.

If you are in Asia or Canada, you are probably just blocked. I get spammed to death from those places and I block entire subnets in those countries.

as an alternative.

My 2001 MIM P has the same TI Flats installed for all the various pickup changes. The stock MIM pickup thumped, the rest do not.

Rio Grande emailed me and said their "Muy Grande" is the big thumper in their line. I'm asking for input from users like you, who have done the comparisions and have first-hand knowledge.
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    E-mail sent again.
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For me, my stock MIA p-bass with Labella jamerson flats is all the thump i can imagine.
  6. Based on Flatwound's extensive experience with all the SPB-x pickups and several others, I have opted to try the SPB-1 (Vintage P) in hopes it will restore my missing thump. I have one on the way from Black Rose Customs (John Wymore) and it should be here in a day or two.

My current DiMarzio DP146 is all wired up for Series/Parallel operation, so I'm thinking I will pull the entier set of pots, jack, and switches out as a single unit. I'll install a new set of pots, jack, and 0.05 uF tone capacitor. If the Duncan works out, I'll put the whole DP146 assembly up on eBay and save somebody a lot of intricate soldering work.

The DP146 has a wonderfully agressive grind, but I don't need that in my P. I bought a G&L L1500 for the grind, which it delivers in spades.
  7. GuitarJonz

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm using the Duncan Vintage P pickup with TI Flats, and it sounds great, vintage P thump all the way, i don't think you'll be disappointed. I thinbk that the Vintage P is very similar to fender's RI P pup.
  8. The Duncan Vintage P arrived today, so I'll get busy in the next week or so putting it into the MIM P. I'd like to record the DiMarzio DP146 before I remove it. Otherwise, I'd put the Duncan in right away. I'm goint to use the existing Series/Parallel wiring that I'm currently using for the DiMarzio. I'll have to open and extend the short wire between the two halves of the Duncan pickup.
  9. ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    bgavin, how did the spb-1 turn out? I am trying to get more thump from my fender flats, and I was debating to go for the spb-1 or spb-2. Is the spb-1 more true to that sweet, round, bellowing tone? Thanks