1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most under-appreciated moderately priced bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lo-freq, Apr 17, 2010.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Let's say in the neighborhood of under $1000 retail price, what basses have you used or owned that you thought were killer basses that don't get much coverage here on talkbass?

Can include basses that are out of production.

Points to consider:
    * tone
    * playability
    * overall quality of instrument (parts/build)
    * versatility
    * compare to other good basses that you've owned or played
    * whatever you'd like to add

2. My old peavey t40 , 250$ with a hardcase . The quality was ok , not the greatest neck pocket, but the tone(s) you could get out of it was amazing.

3. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    My ATK305 normally they are had for $550 I got mine for less than half that.

I feel they are superior to Fender MIM's they (ATK's) have more tones due to their triplebucker and you really don't have to play around alot with it to find a good tone just flip the 3 way switch to sound like a P, a Jazz, or a stingray than adjust the EQ accordingly.

It's also great for chords, which as a pick player I sorta use a bit and the jumbo frets are great for fast runs the neck width and string width I'll admit takes some getting uset to but, once you get it it's a great gig and recording bass.

The bridge while hideous works great it adds some massive sustain maybe abit more than a Badass if I guess correctly. Oh yeah the string through the body or bridge thing helps alot too depending on if you want even more sustain.

The only downside to 'em is their weight mine is considered light at 10 pounds but, the Minotaur Hendrix strap more than makes it comfortable.

Truth be told I'd just wished they made 'em with a rosewood fretboard and in jet black instead I got a trifade one and the black I thought of getting had sparkles on it yeah so that didn't go over well with me....

Anyways the ATK rules!

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Peavey, any of them

5. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ibanez Musicians and early ala "Steve Harris" PJ Roadster basses (not Roadstar) - stand up to ANYTHING in my collection of high end stuff.

6. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    ^This.

7. blackriverstan

blackriverstan

Mar 11, 2010
    TX
    i don't think they're under appreciated around here or have a lack of coverage, but ibanez seems to do a decent job of making a moderately priced bass that performs well

8. talkbassbass

talkbassbass

Jan 20, 2009
    yahmaha rbx374, got a good deal and had the electrics redone for differant pickups as i had money left over. absoloutly love this beast!

9. Schecters.

-jb

10. Bass-Waster

Bass-Waster

Jan 7, 2008
    Ireland
    Traben John Moyer Standard. Got mine for 300 euro and haven't looked back!

11. agree with the atk,the mm sub is also a great used buy around 400 bucks, the newer squiers that are coming out look great

12. Deans and Schecters both don't get the respect they deserve... ive owned a couple of both and they were some of my favorites.

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    DiPinto generally, especially the semi-hollow Belvedere. It sounds amazing, and has a really fast neck. It records exceptionally well too. But at least it gets mentioned occasionally, unlike the never-mentioned, yet totally mojo-licious Galaxie, which is rad-looking P-bass variant:

http://www.dipintoguitars.com/product.php?id=9

I've never owned an ESP bass, but I've been highly impressed by several I've played in shops. They seem like excellent values, and yet I don't read much about them here. I've considered a Surveyor fiver myself.

14. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I’ve never owned a Schecter, but as the owner of two Dean basses, I have to agree completely on that angle. Dean is perhaps better-known for their metal-influenced 6-string guitars, but they’ve also got a nice selection of basses that don’t break the bank.

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I just got an Ibanez BTB 4-string in almost mint condition on eBay for U.S. $330 shipped with HSC. So far I've been liking it a lot.

If 5-strings are your thing, a friend of mine has had a Carvin LB-75 for about 6 or 7 years now and it plays well and sounds great. Not sure if you can grab one of those new for under $1K anymore but you might find a good deal on one used.

16. Peavey Fury
    Peavey Foundation
    Peavey Millennium
    Peavey T40
    Ibanez ATK

17. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    Yamaha BBs get a lot of love. Not all of them are moderately priced tho i don't think

18. marchone

marchone

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Both of mine.

19. JumboJack

JumboJack

Dec 31, 2007
    Lakewood,CA.
    Carvin B and SB....

20. Ditto on th Yamaha BB series. I have a BB614 that is really solid with great tone and playability. :bassist: