Most Underrapreciated Fender Jazz Model.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tiredman9, Aug 27, 2005.

1. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    I have owned in the past both a Marcus Mller and a Geddy Lee and played a standard MIM one but what do you guys think is the most underrated or underapreciated jazz bass. I gotta go with the Jazz Bass 24 here what do you think
  2. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    MIM 60's classic, best mexico made i have ever tried! It felt like a american to me.
  3. I would have to choose the same bass. A great bass indeed.
  4. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003

I just got a 60's classic, it is built and plays just as good as the two '62 RI (MIA) I had some years ago. This bass is not built cheap by any means (ex. no swimming pool routes under the pickguard) and it plays.....well awsome!!!!

I also recently got a Jazz 24, but it went back to the online store. I was very disapointed. It played very well, but I could not get a good sound out of it and the quilted maple top was horrible looking (the Brice $200 models looked 100 times better). I was so shocked on how bad this bass looked, I wrote a letter to Fender.....
  5. Right now, I'd have to vote for the Jazz 24. I got one recently and couldn't be happier with it. Beautiful finish (maybe a tad thin, but it looks gorgeous) and an awesome range of tones to choose from. It can very quickly go from a thumpy JPJ sound to instant Rage bite! With the 24 fret neck it is well suited to slapping, tapping and fingerstyle playing. (I don't use a pick so I can't comment.) For $629 US, the best value in a Fender bass I've ever owned.

I'm still waiting for an answer from Alembic as to whether or not he changed the battery in his before sending his back........... ;)
  6. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    That was the first thing I did! I just could not get that sucker to sound good, and I played around with it for about 3-4 hours. I gave up when I plugged in my passive Jazz and that just sounded 100 times better.

My two Carvins also have a 3-band EQ like the Jazz 24. Now the Carvins sound fantastic, even when set flat. To me the 24 sounded like it had cheap pre-amp. Who knows, maybe I had a any event, even if it sounded good, I would have sent it back. That's just how bad the wood looked. It should have been called blotchy Cherry instead of Quilted. I know I couldn't find and quilt!!

I ended up getting the 60's Classic Jazz. I can't be more happier with that of the best basses I have owned in a long time.
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'd have to go with the early 80's Jazz. I owned an 83 that was beautiful in all respects. Something about the 1 piece PG that gets no respect. These were the last basses to come out of the LaBrea factory so maybe that has something to do with the bad rep, not really sure. The finish was thick and durable, the neck was great to look at and play, from the skunk tail to the rosewood board. The pups were fine, but if course got upgraded. These basses get bashed consistantly, maybe I just got a good one!!
  8. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    anyone know anyting about the Victor Bailey. I played a friends once and thought it was amazing but i havent heard much about them at all. Anyone have one-now the price. I thought it was amazing and i never hear much about it so i count it as pretty underrated.
  9. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    the recent (2004 and newer) AmDel Jazz 5's IMHO
  10. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, I don't think there are enough Reggie Hamilton models around. At least nowhere I frequent. I personally think it takes the MIM 60's jazz to another level. I think the pre-amp is its weakspot. Not much of an EQ.

If I had to get something cheaper I would most definitely go with the MIM 60's jazz though. Just wonderful top to bottom.
  11. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Early 90s Fender Jazz Plus with Lace Sensors.

I bought one a few years back for 250 bucks and it killed.

Who knew?
  12. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The Victor Bailey is a pure joy to play, but I'm not the first to say that. Search and you'll find plenty of praise for it here. I played a Jazz 24 and it just didn't have the polish of the recent American J's. I can't tell if the top is foto or real, and the neck needs some work. I played the 60's model and was really impressed with how nice it was.
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Here's mine, it kicked A$$ last night on a blues gig:

...recently changed the p/ups to Marcus Miller's out of a MIJ MM, OBP-1(VVTB) and installed the vintage guard... The only difference is that it has blues strings and chrome knobs now.

Originally these JBPlus's came with a Kubicki-like Pre and Laces... It was cool and versatile, now it is amazing!
  14. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I got one about 5 weeks ago and it is a really excellent instrument. Best/most versatile Fender I've ever laid my hands on by a long margin.
  15. I would have to go with the Mark Hoppus "Jazz" but then again its unappreciated cause it looks like $h*t. If I were to have to pick a jazz with an actual jazz pick up I would have to pick Fretless Jazzes. I love the sound of 'em but wish they came in unlined.
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anything you say it is, frankly, I like most of them pretty equally, each for their own uses, but I gotta go with the Jazz Bass Specials from the '80's or even the MIM '60's Reissue. Those are some sweet basses.
  17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO the standard MIM Jazz Bass. People buy them and mod the hell out of them trying to somehow improve on them. The stock pickups particularly are underrated and underappreciated. A great bass right out of the box.
  18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I agree. Many people state that it is nothing but an MIM that's being assembled in USA for marketing purposes.

Well, based on the specsheets, that's not completely wrong. But with my Hwy 1 JB, the musicians I play with stated that was the best tone they ever heard.

But maybe I was lucky enough to pickup an exceptionally good one...
  19. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    the jazz plus.