Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Underrated Bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Feb 9, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'd like to hear about bands my fellow TBers consider to be the most underrated.

I think we can all agree most successful "mainstream" bands generally lack the artistic integrity of the harder working, lesser know bands. So post some bands or artists you feel deserve more recognition for they're doing. I'll start:

Opeth - Granted these guys have gained a lot of popularity, and rightly so...To me this band deserves way more recognition for what they've done. Not only do they continually push the envelope in terms of musical versatility. They continue to produce epic albums w/ 10+ min songs. Awesome stuff, this band is leading the pack for modern progressive metal. Ghost Reveries is grammy material IMO.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Faith No More and Mr Bungle are constantly being ripped off by modern musicians and credit for the impact of both bands is rarely, if ever, given.

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Southern Culture On The Skids...They combine a variety of styles into one unique, very-Southern voice. The musicianship is *amazing*. Yet, when I say "Mary Huff is a goddess", no one knows who I'm talking about, or seems to care. Their music is a gas, but you never hear 'em on the radio.

A sin and a shame, is what it is. SCOTS is awesome! They should be heard all over the place!

Cherie

4. scots are a hoot. they came to this lil old place in town called the handlebar. tickets were $12. great show.

brian setzer orchestra- get the dvd of him in japan. great music great fun. the bassist is aaaaaawwwwwsssssooommee.

5. Mudhoney. Hands down.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Stone Temple Pilots

The Ventures

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Opeth definately

8. Yes Daddy Brian Setzer! (and to a few friends and i) Good Charlotte and DEFFINATELY(<spellcheck on that) American Hi-Fi and the Riddlin' Kids.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The Smithereens.

10. Relient K is underrated
    ~Michelle~

11. Lifter. One album then straight to rehab. No new ground really broken, but one of the most "complete" albums I've ever heard. No credit whatsoever.

Mike

12. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    The Tubes

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Lifter Puller; everyone wants to line up to worship at the altar of the Hold Steady. The Hold Steady isn't even in the same league of greatness as Lifter Puller are; while I don't want to put down anything Craig Finn's involved in, Lifter Puller are far superior. The Hold Steady's album was a disappointment, still very enjoyable, mind you, but a disappointment when you've come up listening to Lifter Puller.

Lifter Puller are a band that people will site as heavily influential in another 15-20 years. They were the Velvet Underground of their time. They are dance-punk before dance-punk was about terrible fashion and 80's fetishism; when dance-punk existed in the dark, alluring shadow of warehouse raves, too many drugs, shady characters and promiscuous sex.

Lifter Puller are quite possibly one of, if not the, greatest bands of the 90's. Bar NONE!

14. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    Buckcherry and STP

15. STP is mentioned twice on here.... Perhaps I'm a bit older than the people who posted this band, but I remember when STP was on every radio station available and billed as "better than sliced bread". Compare that exposure and praise of genius to that of Mudhoney. Far from underrated IMO.

Mike

16. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Oceansize
    And a little less underrated: Interpol

17. +1... STP is one of the furthest from being 'underated'.

There's way too many bands to list here, I don't think I even want to get into it.... But, since I can't resist...

40 Below Summer
    Meshuggah
    Mushroomhead ( I never hear them on the radio.. probably just my region though.)
    Darwin's Waiting Room
    Zebrahead
    Authority Zero
    Dry Kill Logic

-ryan-

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Say, would you eat that there snack cracker for me in your special outfit... please?!?!

Awesome band... wouldn't call Mary Huff a goddess though...

19. Moby deserves a lot more credit than he gets for all the mad stuff he did prior to "Play" went stratospheric.
    Strapping Young Lad, and anything involving Devin Townsend deserve far more attention than they get.

20. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Devin would be accepted more if he shaved his head. Good lord he reminds me of a serial killer.