Most underrated bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Dec 31, 2001.

1. What do you think is the most underrated bass there is? The one that you love but won't buy or gig with because bassists will make fun of you? I say the Warwick Streamer Standard. The two pickup models are really more versitile than people give them credit for, and they sound good, at least to my ears. With both pickups on full and tone all the way up, I can get just about any sound I want with just my fingers or a pick. (Yes, I use a pick sometimes!)
  2. i would call the streamer std, or any other warwick for that matter underrated. I have one and its great.
  3. underrated ? Yamaha BBG4A II, Yamaha TRB-II
  4. the ibanez soundgears and ergodynes - inexpensive, great feel, contemporary tone, nice construction.

the musicyo "tobias" - good feel, stinky phat ass good tone, decent construction.

as far as warwicks are concerned - i've played about six different warwicks and the only one that captured my heart is the corvette standard fretless.

for what it's worth.....:D
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY

Brian Moore i series
    Fernandes Gravity series
    Washburn XB9xxs
    Yamaha TRB-IIs
  6. hey! a trb-5ii...but i said forget them and bought it anyway :D (600 bux too :D)
  7. I think the Dean basses get overlooked sometimes. for the money I don't think anyone offers the features found on the Deans. I traded a Harke transporter 410 for my Dean Edge 4. it has Grover tuners, 5 piece maple and walnut neck, and EMG hz pickups. not too shabby for a bass that can be bought new for $329.

the Edge Select moldels are even more impressive, ,made in Europe with neck through construction, flame maple top, and wenge fretboards.
  8. I agree with Christopher that the Brian Moore i2000 series bass are very underrated.

I agree with Chump Stain that the Dean (specfically) the Edge Improv which include the active EMG CS pickups are also very underrated basses.

The Canadian made Godin BG series basses are also very overlooked basses.

All 3 are very high quality basses that are mid priced and will rival basses costing much more.

BTW, Happy New Year all!
  9. Yamaha TRB-IIs, fantastic basses, versatile, good electronics and definetly not expensive and come in some "lovely" colours. I would seriously consider buying one if i didnt already have 3 basses.

10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yeah. I sy Brian Moore guitars in general are underatted. I like the way they sound, play, and feel. I just don't like the headstock much.. I also think Dean is slightly underatted. Some of their basses rock. I don't know about Warwick Being underatted.. They have a good rep. and when you hear warwick most people who know anything about basses will associate that name with good quality.. just MO :)

11. DiegoMcgee

Oct 20, 2001
    Providence RI
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brian Moore's are very underrated, and so are 4 string Dean's.

5 and 6 string Dean's are overrated, and so are Warwick Streamer Standards and Corvette Standards.

Other underrated basses are the aforementioned Godin's, Peavey Fury IV, Yamaha RXB270, Squier Affinity P basses, and DeArmonds.
  13. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    what about the pedulla? I NEVER see or hear anyone really using them...
  14. I would say the De Armond Pilot series. My first "professional" bass was a Standard 4, and I am totally in love with it.

Rock on
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    definitely the Pedulla's. I love those, the Fretless Pentabuzz 5 and Thunderbolt 5's in particular. No one ever mentions them. Heck, I've started a few threads on them myself. Pedulla all the way.

Damn...Fretless Pentabuzz 5...just GASed myself majorly...
  16. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Last I checked, all Pentabuzzes were fretless. :D
  17. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    My bro has one and I think they actually play really awesome, the sound is pretty close to spector without the high out. Its currently set up with some nice low-action and adjusted pickups, great sound! They actually play as nice as some real tobias!
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't really call Pedulla's underrated. Most experienced bassists have heard of them and they have a good reputation.

My Rapture J2 5 string is a great active, J style workhorse, perfect for the oldies band.
  19. Underrated?

ALL Yamaha's!
    Bass Collection

20. You know what I'm going to say: Epiphone Jack Casady. Such warm, round, clean tones. Such a heavenly sound you think you're going to see St. Peter asking if he can check out your Casady.

Mike J.