Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Underrated Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Oct 11, 2010.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    So we all know about the Geddys and Squires, the Lemmys and Burtons, the Jacos and McCartney, the Fleas, and etc. However, there are very underrated bassists that contributed just as much to the evolution of bass playing, and could form fantastic bass lines just as well as any of the above. Don't get me wrong, Geddy is still my #1 bassist, and Rush my #1 band, but I think that the players not quite as in the "limelight" (sorry, I couldn't resist :D) deserve some talk.

These come to my mind:

Pete Quaiffe (I think that's how you spell his last name)--The Kinks.
    Pete was probably up there with Entwistle on the scale of early agressive, lead oriented bassists. He played with great skill and always held a powerful tone that came from (big surprise) a Rickenbacker! He formed some great lines in the Kink's early days. I love to hear that great bass work on the Live version of "All Day and All of the Night".

Tom Hamilton--Aerosmith.
    Hamilton can always be heard, and can play very good, complex bass, and just fills the bass role perfectly, while being able to play just as well as the noted prog giants of the time. His funky, higher register opening, lead-ish opening bass line in "Sweet Emotion" gets me grooving every time I listen to it.

Gene Simmons--KISS
    As much as I might not like his lifestyle (not getting married, ever, pulling every ho at every show, etc. Don't flame me for this, just my personal beliefs, and I still think that he's probably an okay dude.), I have to admit that he deserves a lot more credit for the basslines he created (and still creates) with KISS. He's actually a pretty good bassist, and unfortunately, he's mainly either hated for being "devilish" in the 80's, or known for the tongue and the fire and blood. Just take a listen to the line from "Detroit Rock City". Fantastic, and I have to really pick fast and precisely to get it right.

That's all I've got for now, but I want to hear from you. :bassist:

RB! and WyreAndWood like this.
  2. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Bill of Faith No More.
    Ben of Soundgarden

The bass players of Otep, E Town Concrete, One Minute Silence

3. edot3021

edot3021

Jan 29, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Trevor Dunn - Mr. Bungle Fantomas
    Eric Claridge - The Sea and Cake
    Chris White - The Zombies
    Steven Drozd - The Flaming Lips

DjangoKid likes this.
  4. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Add to the list Chris Wolfsen....Wolfien....whatever his last name is (Man, it's hard to spell) of Muse. Great bassist.

Also, John Paul Jones deserves more credit. Revolutionary, hard hitting lead player that gets seriously overlooked sometimes.

tyohars likes this.
  5. pandaman37

pandaman37 Banned

Sep 17, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    pino palladino. i hadnt heard of the man until like a few months ago. wouldve helped me in my playing early on soo much

tyohars and grahamrowell like this.
  6. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    How about Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam, Robert DeLeo STP, Dan Maines Clutch, Henry Bogden Helmet, Mike Inaz AIC, Kai Eckhardt Garj Mahal just to name a few.

7. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Rob Wright from Nomeansno. If you listen to them your not long figuring out how good he is but they don't get the credit they deserve.

8. masoncole

masoncole Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Ross Valory of Journey has to have some of the most memorable bass lines of all time!!!!Very underated in my opinion.

M

HolmeBass likes this.
  9. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Robert DeLeo. Period

Gene Simmons too.

10. UnfortunateTony

UnfortunateTony

Jul 26, 2010
    Seattle
    Tal Wilkenfield I believe it is? She plays bass for Jeff Beck and is often overlooked but she really is pretty amazing. And she's a babe. Sha-wing.

gclark51 likes this.
  11. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Roy Mitchell Cardenas - Mute Math

12. Jayice

Jayice

Sep 22, 2010
    Cris Kirkwood - Meat Puppets
    Mike Watt - Minutemen
    Greg Norton - Hüsker Dü

de Bajo and HolmeBass like this.
  13. tdoody

tdoody

Sep 5, 2008
    dave purple volt stax records
    isaac guillery the cryan shames

14. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    I agree with you about Tal Wilkenfield. Great bassist, and really hot girl. :D

15. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    BIG +1,000 on Kai Eckhardt - amazing fretted and fretless player, with great ability to solo AND drive the music. Really distinctive sound, too. He's become one of my favorite bass guitarists playing jamband/fusion/jazz. & he deserves way more recognition.

and sorry, but Gene Simmons is way overrated, and way overexposed, too. Enuf of that guy.

HolmeBass likes this.
  16. midbass

midbass

Jun 10, 2008
  17. John Cooper of Skillet.
    Johnny Christ of Avenged Sevenfold.
    Rex Brown of Pantera/Damageplan

Liam

18. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Leroy Hodges, bassist in the Hi Rhythm Section (Al Green, Ann Peebles, Otis Clay, etc.)

vdbass likes this.
  19. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    ill say it. Pete Wentz.
    the newer stuff from Fall Out Boy, not so much.
    but their first two albums had some really decent bass lines, actual lines.
    once they started to get more fame is when his stuff got boring.

2:12, better than playing root notes like he does now.

doesnt matter much anyway, they are no longer.

20. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Man, you've got guts to bring up those dudes. I can't stand them and many others can't, but you've got a valid point. He did make some good lines in some early Fall Out Boy. +1 for being unafraid to voice the fact, even though most can't stand the dude.

47th Street likes this.