Most UNDERRATED players?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by flavorfactory, Mar 24, 2002.

1. OK, we've all seen the threads on everyone's favoritist-most jammingest-hotarsed players.

But what about the guys who aren't flashy; you know, the ones still happy to play a 4-string, hold down the rhythm and stay out of the spotlight?

Here's a few deserving players:

John Stirratt -- Wilco, The Autumn Defense, Uncle Tupelo
    Mike Mills -- REM
    Jon Blondell -- Willie Nelson, BB King -- too many to list!
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, it's going to be hard to pick in a forum like this, but I'll put out a few names that dont' get mentioned enough:

Rob Grange - Ted Nugent
    Gerry McAvoy - Rory Gallagher, Nine Below Zero
    Randy Jo Hobbs - Johnny Winter And
    Martin Turner - Wishbone Ash
    Paul Goddard - Atlanta Rhythm Section
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Tommy Shannon - doesn't impress the casual listener or the inexperienced bassist, but just play his lines faithfully and see how you do

Leon Wilkeson - I never even owned a Skynyrd album until I had to learn his stuff for an audition because I don't care for Dixie rock. But when I started learning his lines with all the embellishments he did, I became very respectful. He doesn't play the repeating figure exactly the same way each time.

Mars Cowlings - I still haven't figured out all the off-meter stuff and fills he did with Pat Travers Band

Dennis Dunaway - Cooper wasn't the only one doing some things differently on that stage

Hutch Hutchinson/Lee Sklar - I put them together because while they may not be flashy, whatever the play isn't just "the right line" for the song, it's "the perfect line" for the song.

Tommy Cogbill - Muscle Shoals, what can I say?

John Deacon - Kept Queen from being too artsy-fartsy

Hamish Stuart - How did a Scot get so much groove??? (Avg. White Band)
  4. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Dirk Lance? I dont think many people would call him underrated, but he does stay out of the spot light.
  5. Lassie Sachs - Bead Game
    This Guy played some Great melodic stuff, unfortunatly he only played on one album " Bead Game" Which was released in 1970 on the Avco Embassy Lable.The album is Rare and will set you back some if you can even find it but for the time this guy was really on.He even pulls off some good 16th note grooves, good stuff!
    ( The drummer/Lead Vocalist in this band was Jim Hodder, Who ended up playing Drums on Steeley Dans First records)
    I guess its a bit off the subject but there are quite a few Totally unknown players that were really good.Unfortunatly thease records are totally unknown to the generall listening public, even to us musicians!
  6. Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    I think John Taylor from Duran Duran is one of the most underated bass players. I mean he was in the spotlight because of the band he was in, but it seems like he doesn't get the respect he deserves for being a great bass player, IMO. I saw him in the "unsung bass heroes" column in Bass Player mag a while ago and it was cool to see that they put him in there.

Eric Avery from Janes Addiction also

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Under-rated bassist?

Tobin Esperance- Papa Roach
    Sam Rivers- Limp Bizkit

Many more, im just not in a thinking mood :D
  8. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Well If my recent poll on Jeremy Cunningham of the Levellers is anything to go by, he would be a good person to put in here!!
  9. The topic has been dealt with before, actually... but...

I like htag's choices there. Also like seeing Mike Mills mentioned (remember the early albums??)...

I'd add:

Alex James of Blur
    Kyle Henderson of The Producers
    Mike Mezaros of The Smithereens
  10. Haha, HateGear hasn't replyed yet, so I get to say it.

Beefcake the Mighty

<---- for those of you wondering "what the hell is beefcake the mighty?" see my avatar. :D
    It doesn't matter who the man behind the mask is, they're under rated.
  11. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    I personally find Jason Newstead to actually be underrated(I guess in the same sense so is Cliff). Of the videos on tv and the internet of Metallica. Cliff and Jason always seem to be in the background and never seem to play a big part. I see that to be very common in bassists these days. I think the dude from Hoobastank is underrated. He writes nice basslines and seems to know what is good in the bass world (MTD+Aguilar!). I think any bassist that ever played with Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton is underrated. Seeing as the bassist for Cream actually wrote the line to Sunshine of Your Love. Umm I think the bassist from Staind is a decent bassist who does his job quietly. Umm, I guess theres not really many people I can comment on anymore since I have strayed away from mainstream music and latched onto a bunch of no-name Hardcore Christian bands. Some that you may know. Like Project 86(good bassist), Living Sacrfice, Zao, Narcissus, and Blindside are bands that you will find me listening to often. They are all really good. But in this case the whole band is underrated. Meaning that the bassist is underrated two times ;) ...OH yea. I forgot, I'm underrated too!;) :D Actually the other guy who plays bass is kinda rude to me about that. Just playin around and insulting my bass playing. I think he kinda sucks though, and so does my friend. But you know I guess thats life. We'll see who gets the last laugh.
  12. I still think John Myung is being underrated, he deserves way more attention then he gets, he is a really awesome player....
  13. BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Kim Clarke of DEFUNKT. She has got groove and soul.
  14. DareDevil

Feb 17, 2002
    Southport, FL
    Leon Wilkeson from Skynyrd was an amazing bass player

Dean DeLeo from STP is very good also
  15. I was just about to mention Dean too. He is a great player. I love the bass in Big Empty.
  16. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I've always liked Radiohead's bassist, Colin Greenwood. Never too fancy, usually just good, sometimes melodic, bass lines.
  17. Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club), anyone????????????

Serious funk from a pint-sized white person. Pretty damn cool.
  18. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Muzz Skillings formerly of Living Colour. Saw him live and he smoked. Maybe thats why he is now a NYFD firefighter?
  19. Justin Chancellor - tool
    Twiggy Ramirez - Marilyn Manson