1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most unforgiving amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CircleOfCrows, Feb 10, 2019.

1. CircleOfCrows

CircleOfCrows

Mar 28, 2013
    Whats everyones thoughts on Really unforgiving amps for practice?
    Whats going to make every bum note, slur and fun that much more pronounced?
    Really looking For THAT amp at the moment from a practice point of view.

any suggestions?

2. Headphones.

BassGreaser, Jim Carr, petch and 2 others like this.
  3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Nailed it.

Get a good set of headphones, and you will be able to hear every subtle nuance of your playing. I have a high end set of custom molded in ear monitoring buds I use, but a set of over the ears are a lot more comfortable for long periods.

4. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Just plug into your current amp and you are good to go v

5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    They're out of production, but the most unforgiving amp I've ever heard is one I own: the Nemesis (Eden) N8 tilt-back amp. It's very barebones, voiced with a pronounced bump in the high-mids. Sounds great with guitar also. Just volume, tone, and an 8 inch speaker. Nothing to doof it up.

Link to a related Reverb ad (not mine):
    Eden Nemesis N8 1x8 Small bass combo amplifier

6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    IME a set of ears and determination to "get it right" is the best way of improving anyone's bass playing.

7. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    I've found using a cheap acoustic with no amp sharpens me up as regards fretting technique. Hear every little mechanical noise.

8. It's not so much an unforgiving amp that you need as it is unforgiving settings on what ever amp you are using. Kill the lows and mids on the EQ settings and crank the highs. The tone will be lousy for what most bass players like to hear but you will be able to hear the notes easily that way. In my practice room where I work with a computer and You Tube a lot , I have a really cheap 5 watt guitar amp with a junk 6" speaker in it. Can't go very loud with it and the tone is garbage , but I can hear every note very clearly with it. The nice thing about that set up is that it's quiet. I can close the door to the computer room and practice without ever being worried about waking anybody in the house. If you need to keep it quiet , a low watt amp is a must. If you are not worried about bothering anybody , pretty much any amp can be EQ'd to be unforgiving.

9. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    A tiny pos w about 3 watts and a 4” speaker. My last band practiced w these at low volume with the drummer using a pad. It was “warts and all under a microscope”. It will illuminate issues w technique like nothing I’ve ever tried AND you can hear your vocals clearly.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Trained ears, determination, and time. Perhaps stop shopping for gear? (he asked himself, at least half in jest...:roflmao:)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you play sloppily through a B|Amp it will reproduce the sloppiness perfectly, only a lot louder.

Thumpr, Matt Morgan and sprag like this.
  13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That’s the amp that immediately came to mind for me, too.

Matt Morgan, sprag and Munjibunga like this.