Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most upright-like: Rob Allen or Veillette?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dwjazz54, Oct 1, 2004.

1. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    I was wondering what people's thoughts on which semi-hollow bass sounds most like an upright, namely between the Rob Allen MB2 and the Veillette MKIV. I ask because I really dig the tone of upright (and I will consequently never stop playing the *real* bass), but find portability, playability, price, and range an issue (I've started to really get into 6-string, the Veillette can be had this way and I once saw a Rob Allen 6er on BassAlone's site). I have heard and played a Rob Allen at Rudy's in NYC and was impressed, but have never heard or played a Veillette (which I think looks better, but that's all I know).

So the question is: Which sounds more like a good DB? I know it's impossible to sound exactly the same, but which captures the vibe best? Consequently, if you think there is a better option, please suggest. (Also- I'd like to not go the EUB route, as I've already an acoustic upright, and to me it would defeat the purpose.)

Thanks to reading this long post. Please respond to it.

Thanks!

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Have you tried one of the Godin semi-acoustics (A4, A5 - if that's what they are called)? I tried a fretless one and was quite impressed with the tone. In fact, my friend, who plays upright for a popular band in Denver, tried it and was equally impressed. Its tone approximates a more upright-"ish" tone and it is reasonably priced if you can get your hands on one ($500.00 or so).

Not saying it's better than what you mentioned, just tossing in an alternative.

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    http://www.azola.com/sys-tmpl/decobass/

The Azola Deco has the advantage of feeling like an upright so that in addition to it's upright-like sound the natural articulation is also very much like an upright. The look is also very appealing to a leader or audience expecting to see an upright. In replacing the upright with a bass guitar the Deco should be on your short list of instruments to check out.

I've got mine strung with TI Jazz Flats through a Raven Labs PBM and then a Baby Blue II when I can't just use the monitor rig. Never anything but compliments from audience, audio techs and musicians.

4. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Thanks for the quick responses, guys; keep 'em coming.

I do want to stress, however, the importance of the 6th string. The low B and the high C. Maybe Godin or Azola would do a custom job like that, but I don't know.

Thanks, though, and I'm definitely not knockin' anybody's posts, as they are ALL helpful.

5. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Azola does. If Godin does I've never seen it. Tough to find an acoustic with a really good low B. In an ideal world I'd prob'ly want a 36" scale on one. You may be best staying with a semi-acoustic...

6. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    This bass would rarely, if ever, be played acoustically. It would almost always be played through an amp.

I agree wholeheartedly, as I have never myself found a low B that I dug acoustically (save for a 5-string DB I played once; pizz was unreal if not "loud"), but have found many acoustic 5ers that sounded great plugged in.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Rob Allen makes an outstanding upright-ish bass. Another bass to consider, though, is the Rick Turner model. I've played a few and was absolutely blown away!:D

IMO, Rick Turner knows how to build an upright-ish bass, and I'd buy one over most others, if I had the need.

8. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Shameless BUMP!

9. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Bump! (again)

10. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    A six string Veillette goes for around $2000.

A six string Rob Allen goes for $3500+.

Rob Allen sez:

"...the cost is due to the fact that we don't have all the
    tooling made to produce these in a cost effective manner, so they are really custom basses that take considerably longer to build."

I have not played either, but my impression is that the Veillette has a better sound and construction (it is near the top of my gas list). I would think that the Veillette would have more of an upright sound due to the neck joint and the bridge (not glued to body; held in place by tension. Supposively, this leads to a more "woody" tone.), but I beleive it would not be too hard to coax other tones and sounds out of the bass.

Azola also builds a mean acoustic/electric bass guitar. His Jazzman has an upright bridge, I believe.

11. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    Hey guys, thanks for all the responses, and I was wondering:

What about those hollow Jazz-style bodies from Warmoth. Could a 6er be custom ordered, with my own choices of piezo electronics and wood choice(s)?

A fretless hollowbody Jazz 6er with LaBella tapewounds. Mmmmmm!!!

12. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Ive played the godin a5 fretless and its a great bass. i would love to get my hands on a Rob Allen though, also those Veillette's look very nice, especially this one...

13. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    That reminded me of these:
    http://www.azola.com/sys-tmpl/jazzman/
    http://www.azola.com/sys-tmpl/nouveau/
    Steve will pretty much make you anything you want so I doubt if a 6 in either would be a problem.

14. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I couldn't find a pricing on that hot-wire, anyone have an estimate?

15. There's a price list on the site, but since the link I posted above was to a document to be shown in a frame, you couldn't get to it. Try: http://www.hotwire-bass.com/frames/indexframeset_eng.html and look for the price list, instead. But, there's no quote for a six string version, so you're better off sending them an email with your questrions instead.