Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most upright-like sounding bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Jun 2, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Which electric bass sounds most like an upright?
    Rob Allen, Rick Turner, Godin, etc?

2. I've gotten a very close approximation of an upright with a Pedulla Hexabuzz with JJ pick ups.(The MVP fretless model.) Many producers/engineers have commented favorably on how close it sounded to a bass viol. The tiny Kydd bass sounds almost exactly like an upright when plucked-but then that's not a bass GUITAR...The Pedulla comes in 4,5 and 6 stringers.

3. Of the guitars I've played I would go for the DeArmond Ashbory. In my mind, there are 2 essential elements to the sound of an upright that are difficult or impossible to obtain with a guitar.
    1. the acoustic "kick" produced by the resonating body. (This can be reproduced to some extent by acoustic bass guitars even as cheap as a Kramer Ferrington)
    2. The punchy core sound that comes from the greater string length, typically 41-42 inches vs 35-36
    I have not heard a bass guitar produce this although electric uprights can. I played the KYDD bass which is short scale and did not think it could pass for an upright in the lower register.

The ashbory has a huge sound, fat bottom and does a fair job of producing the acoustic "kick" with its piezio <sp?> pickup. And it's pretty cheap, 250-300 on the net.

Dave

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'll second the Kramer Ferrington, as I have a fretless one that's uncanny.

Also, the Godin A4. Especially the fretless model.

5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Of course Rob Allen, especially if you set the action high.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    why not get an Azola???

but Rob Allen's with rope cores are hard to beat.

7. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    A) Buy anything and play over the middle of the fretboard

B) Buy a fretless with silicon strings!

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Based on the three models you mentioned, I would say that the Rob Allen with tape-wound strings does an amazing job of getting you dog house tone with out the dog house! Had you just asked an open question, I would have still recommended the Rob Allen. Maybe not the best "value" out there, but they sound amazing and are well-built with great materials.

9. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I plugged Rob Allen into Acoustic Image combo , and I surprised my band mates with upright tone.

Rob Allen is worth everypenny.

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Guess I'll have to go with Rob Allen [​IMG] &nbsp; [​IMG] [​IMG]