Most used bass for country?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarwickFan, Mar 18, 2005.

1. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the StingRay 5 string is the most popular bass in country music these days. I always considered the StingRay to be more of a funk or slap bass.
  2. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I'd attribute that to the new, younger generation of players. SR5's are spotted a lot on videos, concerts etc..they are quite versatile.

But I'd bet Fender basses have the winning total overall!
  3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If your counting the 80's, don't rule out Peavey(made in Meridian, Mississippi!)
  4. I would say Fender is the most popular still, as with pretty much any genre. I guess in the past few years people have been moving to ray 5's, and now there are more and more lakies showing up. Still I would say Fender, then Ray 5, then Lakie.
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Fender, Ernie Ball, and Lakland, would be my guess for top 3.
  6. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    My guess is Fender, Sadowsky,EB, Lakeland. Don't know the uprights that are still being used.

7. You see the odd upright being used, I don't exactly see/listen to alot of country, but they are still around. Was at a music festival last year, a country band that was there had a double bass. Forgot about sadowsky, a fair amount of them kickin around too.
  8. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I seem to recall from my days (many, many moons ago!) back in Nashville, that if a bass player wasn't playing a Fender, he wasn't playing. Now, granted, times change. And, as much as I hated country "back then"....I dislike it twice as much now...but that's another story..but I can definitely see that the "mantle" has been passed. Shoot, I happened across a video a while back where the bass dude was actually *GASP!!* playing a Ricky!!!! Horror of all horrors!!! :)
  9. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    for the last 25 years I've used an Alembic Series 1 for country and rock music , and it sounds great .

Gene Watson's bass player play's an Alembic also
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I think most guys like an 11 string Adler scince there are so few keyboardist in country bands!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky PJ 5 string with a reversed P. :bassist:
  12. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Back a few years ago, Watson's bass player was Tony Booth. I haven't seen him lately, though.
  13. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    IME, anything works nowadays, as long as it's got a solid bottom end. Even though the role of the bass has changed in today's country (pop, actually....), it's still predominately 1-4-5......not a lot of opportunity for tonal nuance other than phat most of the time!

Over the past 10 years, I've used:

Alembic Epic 6
    Alembic Rogue 5
    Lakland 55-94
    Pedulla Thunderbass 5
    Musicman 5
    Fender Jazz 5
    Fender Deluxe Precision 5
    Zon Sonus 5
    Elrick Gold Standard 7
    Roscoe SKB3007 (current)

They all worked great! :bassist:
  14. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I just did a recording of "Tiger By The Tail" using a Bongo fiver.

Sure, there were odd looks at first, but once playback commenced, they were all believers.
  15. I play for a couple of Country bands, so I feel that I can respond.

I have seen almost every type of bass known to man on a Country stage. This list is the ranked by the ones I have seen the most.

Fender P
    Fender Jazz
    Other Fender clones.....

My #1 is currently an SR5. I have a Roscoe Beck on the way. We shall see....
  16. i see a whole lot of fenders in nashville
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll go along with this. At Fan Fair in Nashville a couple years ago, I saw mostly SR5s. I think a lot of the studio guys are using 55-94s, and I see a few of those on stage. Lots of Fenders on stage, too.
  18. I traded my SR5 and my RB5 for a Lakland 55-94 deluxe. I played my first gig with it last night, and I could not be happier.
  19. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I've been seeing a lot more G&L, Lakland, and Warwick basses lately. I think Fender is still the bass that make producers fill at ease.
    I have playing a G&L Tribute L-2500 with S.I.T Silencer strings for country.