Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most versatile 5 for my small hands?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 127.0.0.1, Oct 1, 2005.

1. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    Hey all, I currently have an Ibanez SR800 and am looking for a 5 that I can play with ease. My hand is stubby-ish, so a small neck is preferable.

I want a humbucker in bridge if possible.

Forgot to say that my budget is <$1000

2. Not sure about the humbucker need, but as far as the neck, I settled on a Fender Jazz 5-string. I was trying out another in GC when the salesman came up and asked how I liked it. I told him that the neck was a little wide for my taste and he says "I've got a bass for you", and handed me the Fender. What a difference! Try one out. After that you can deal with the pup issue. You might just like the tone as is.

3. Ibanez 5 strings have thin necks. I heard good things about the SR505.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think the G&L Tribute L-2500 has a pretty small neck. I don't have large hands and only play four strings, but I tried one and was comfortable on it. Also has humbuckers.

5. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    My Corvette Standard 5's neck is easy for my stubs to play.

6. jhfva

jhfva

May 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    I have short fingers with big palms. I had been playing a Fender Zone 5 string. When I picked up the SR905 I immediately fell in love with how it felt. The salesman kept trying to convience me that a SRX705 had pickups that were more in keeping with the music I play, but I just loved this SR905.

Very narrow neck.