Most versatile bass-MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jun 18, 2001.

What's the most versitile Bass

Poll closed Aug 27, 2003.
  1. Carvin P-series

16 vote(s)
  2. Lakland 55-94

36 vote(s)
  3. Warwick LTD 2000

17 vote(s)
  4. Fender Stu Hamm Urge II

33 vote(s)
  5. Fender P-bass

51 vote(s)
  6. G&L 2000/2500

65 vote(s)
  7. MusicMan StingRay 5/Sterling

54 vote(s)
  8. Peavey Millenium

3 vote(s)
  9. Other. Please specify

86 vote(s)
  10. Fender Jazz

84 vote(s)
  1. What's your opinion? Not just on what kinds os different sounds, but on what the bass is good for.
  2. i say the Stu Hamm. I mean since its got two J's a P, its basically the offspring of a P and J bass. so im guessing its real versatile.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What else is a bass good for?:confused:
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender Jazz anyone?
  5. I noticed that the G&L has receivec the most votes. I have played all of these basses except the Lakland, Urge Bass, and the G&L. I voted for the MM Sterling b/c i belive since it is the most versatile. It has the coil switch that the G&L has and it also has a mid control. Does the second pickup and the ability to go passive really give it much more versatility?
  6. Ive never played a GL, but yes, the abilit to go active/passive is VERY important in versitility. The second pickup also adds a great deal of versitility on its own. However, the bass that TO ME has the most useful sounds is any jazz with a j-retro.
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I haven't played any of those basses, but I would guess that the Fender Jazz deserves mention.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I voted for the L2000/L2500 as the most versatile production bass, but I would imagine that John T's 8 string or his doubleneck are 2 of the most versatile basses ever made.

Hey John, when are you getting a doubleneck with the swiss army knife electronics?;)

9. Out of all the basses I have my Jazz gets played the least, but yes I would say it would be the most vesitile.
  10. Barrett

Apr 1, 2001
    Versatile is nice, but unless someone invents a way to raise and lower action instantly without throwing it out of tune, I'll always need at least a couple of basses. A P-type with high action for banging away with a pick; a Jazz with low action for fingerstyle. Plus a few others for interior decoration (more interesting than furniture).
  11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I always felt the Yamaha BB3000 I had could match any sound I wanted. I also played and looked great. Part of the reason I may have gotten rid of it is that I found it too versitile, or rather, not distinctive enough.
  12. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I voted for other because I think my Series II Alembic is capable of dialing in an almost endless variety of sounds and tones, from treble-y twang to a rumbling growl. In addition I can amplify it mono or stereo. Besides, with all the freakin' knobs on the thing, it darn sure oughta be versatile.

I've never played a G&L bass, so I can't readily compare to that (seeing as how it appears to be the run away favorite) but comparing it to the Fender Jazz and the Music Man I used to own, there's no comparison.

13. fender J ...mia or mim, i love them all.
  14. I meant what types of music it's good for.
  15. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    My vote is for spector! usa! I also own a warwick corvette-pro-line but i wouldnt say it is versatile! Sounds awsome on the songs i decide to use it on!
  16. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I'm still amazed at the variety of tones I get out of L-2000's.

J? passive, parallel, bridge pup

P? active, series, neck pup

MM? active w/boost, series, both pups

These are not hard and fast rules, it depends on what's in your signal chain and your amplification too. Still, these basses have some seriously useful sounds in them. They go from over the top retro growl to massive, edgy tones that knock your socks off.

I love messing around with settings and my EQ to see what kinds of sounds I can get. My other basses on the other hand, I play them more for a certain sound or range where they excel. I don't think any single bass can do it ALL, but these come as close as any to trying.
  17. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I voted other for the FENDER Jazz. I love the J-Bass sound and its very versitile.
  18. Definately the Fender Jazz bass. All the others mentioned are great axes, but, none can ever come near the Jazz as far as number of units produced and still playing. Just as English is descended from German, and French from Latin, all the great basses of today look back to Grand Pappy
    Jazz with his white whiskers and classic pickup arrangement. All of them except the Jack Casady.
    (Big grin)

What style of music does a Jazz not fit into?

Mike J.
  19. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    It's funny that this thread came up, because the Fender Jazz has a special place in my heart. My first bass was a beat up '72 Jazz that I still have. I no longer play it because the neck is a mess, but there's something about a Jazz that stays with me.

Despite the fact that my J-Retro Jazz is perhaps my favorite to play, I still find my G&L's more versatile. I guess it's because there are some things the G&L pulls off that a Jazz would never dream of.

For instance, soloing the neck pup on the G&L is pretty far removed from doing the same on a Jazz, but there's a good rock sound there for the G&L. The tendency for *some* Jazzes on the other hand is to become boomy, or less articulate. That might even be preferred in some cases though, like reggae maybe. Soloing the bridge pups on either of them yields slinky mids though, vintage all the way for both basses. I think that's where their related lineage really shows, you can make them sound very much alike when soloing the bridge.

All in all, they share many of the same sounds, so I can see where the votes for the Jazz are coming from. I just find that the G&L has some extra added tones, not better, just extra. :)
  20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as soon as those swiss army people quit being so stingy with them :mad: :D