Most versatile gig bag ?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by jnewmark, Sep 9, 2018.

1. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Looks like I'm in the market for a new gig bag, as my old Rock Bag is starting to rip at the seams at the headstock, and inside liner by the zipper is starting to pull away, with the zipper getting stuck. I love this bag as it's very useful, so many little compartments, very sturdy straps that are removable ( a big plus for me ), and have their own compartment for storage. I suppose I could get another one, but they have changed the style over the years, and seem like they are hard to find online.

So, here is what I'm looking for mostly: well thought out compartments, and removable backpack type straps. This would be for local use only; I have other cases for more travel type gigs. I typically carry tuner, cables, strap(s), batteries, etc. Need at least a larger pocket for sheet music, 8x10 note pad, etc.

Yes I could check out bags online, but I thought I would throw it out there in TB Land and see what bags you guys like for this type of local use. Not too concerned with internal support, but a more versatile style like my Rock Bag.

2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I’m a gig bag junkie and I have Reunion Blues, Mono and Fusion Double Bags and three leather Levys bags. I can’t complain about any of them as they are all very well made with excellent workmanship. If you go onto American Musical Supply you’ll find a large assortment and verity.

jnewmark likes this.
  3. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Thanks, I'll check those out. Mono bag is probably too costly for me, although they look great. I'm also looking at the Gator Transit bag. Ever try one of those ?

armybass likes this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    If Mono is too much $$$ then check out the ProTec Contego, it has lots of useful storage pockets, universal fit, excellent protection, lightweight, and last I checked it was half the price of a Mono M80. I don’t recall if the backpack straps are removable, but they are stowable behind a Velcro securing strap to keep them out of the way when not in use.

mark beem, Mktrat and jnewmark like this.
  5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The Gator Transit has many good points, and a few weak ones, the most obvious of the latter being flimsy-ish plastic buckles on the backpack straps that have been known to break, sending the bass plummeting towards the pavement. The pockets are also rather basic, with no compartments of any kind. On the other hand, it does have good thick foam and a sturdy construction (apart from the straps), and does protect the bass well. It’s also both light and inexpensive. YMM, as always, V.

6. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    The price I found was $174. Not exactly half of what the Mono goes for, but still somewhat cheaper. Still, a little expensive for me.

7. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    When you say the pockets have " no compartments ", do you mean within the pockets themselves ? Do you think they are large enough to carry, say an 8x10 notepad, or several pieces of sheet music, without folding ?

8. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Yes, the main pocket is large enough for that. It’s about 12" wide, 12" on one side, and 15" on the other, as it’s asymmetric. The large pocket is just that, one large single pocket, with a zipper closure. There is also a pocket in the flap that covers it, about 3/4 of the size of the flap itself. Finally, there’s a small pocket near the top of the bag, that doesn’t expand at all, so it only accommodates small, relatively flat objects, like a small stack of business cards or the like. It’s all perfectly adequate, but fairly basic in contrast to some other manufacturers who offer inside pockets, loops for pens, velcro loops for cables etc.

jnewmark likes this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ah, okay, last I looked they were going for between $100 and $125. And admittedly I got mine with a new bass so I don't even know what its "value-added" cost was.

10. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Check out the Gator ProGo. It has a lot of features and is very protective for $150.00.

Sanchan and jnewmark like this.
  11. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    Big fan of the Chromacast Rudy Sarzo case. Pockets up the wazoo!

jnewmark likes this.
  12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I normally prefer a hard case, but lately I've been using one for the Thursday night P&W gig. This may not suit you, but it is food for thought. I have a Fender gig bag that came with a MIM P. The bass goes in that.
    Cables, tuner, music, tools, etc. I carry in a range bag you would get at a gun store.

13. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Wow ! Exactly what I'm looking for ! Thanks. Looks like a great lightweight bag for local gigs, with plenty of compartments ! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3M85PU Anyone who is interested, please check out the video in the link. And, I get free shipping to my local Wal Mart !

14. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    +1 on ProGo. I am very happy with it!

el jeffe bass likes this.
  15. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Just wanted to update. Got the bag and it is every thing I wanted, except for the non detachable backpack straps. Not a deal breaker as they seem to lay pretty flat against the back of the bag. Compartments ? , 5, count 'em, 5 compartments, including a real long, narrow one up by the headstock that is perfect for an extra strap. Nice little velcroed pillow on the inside for a little protection underneath the nut area, some hard plastic protection strips at various parts along the bottom of the bag, Velcro handles, and a handle on the wide side of the bag near the neck area. Zippers appear to be heavy duty enough for my needs, but the additional compartments were really what I was looking for in a least expensive gig bag. Caveat is , this bag is just for a throw in the car bag for local gigs only, not a bag you want to be used if getting thrown in to a van with other gear, or for flight protection in a baggage area. In no way does it compare to a Mono, or Blues Reunion bag, but that wasn't what I was looking for anyway. I would compare it to the Road Runner bags, but with more compartments , better construction, and better fit. Got free shipping to my local Wal Mart in two days. So, if you are looking for a better, relatively cheap gig bag, for local gigs with more than the average number of compartments, I would recommend this one. Time will tell how it wears, but for riding in my back seat, I don't for see any problems.

Haroldo and el jeffe bass like this.
  16. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    One of the better designs I've seen. Check the reviews on Amazon. Most of the positive ones seem to be written soon after purchase. Looks like it may not hold up to continued use. Still..... the pockets.

jnewmark likes this.
  17. yobtaf

yobtaf

Nov 29, 2012
    SoCal
    I just ordered the Mono Vertigo minutes ago. been kicking around what to go with. I like the padding it provides and I dont need a ton of pockets. I see it as things to get smashed into your bass. I got a smoking deal thru samash. Just under 200

18. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Yes time will tell. I likened it to the Road Runner bags, although I think its better constructed. I used a Road Runner bag for years, and still have it. It has held up well, although I have never done any serious road gigs with it. Like I said previously, the Chromacast bag will be used for local gigs only, riding in my back seat, primarily. No heavy duty touring, so I expect normal wear and tear. But, as you said, you can't beat those compartments !

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021