1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most versatile of the bunch?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Warwick Streamer Stage 2

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Warwick Steamer Stage 1

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Spector NS-5H2 (US bolt on model)

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Roscoe SKB or Century 3005

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Which of these basses do you think is the most versatile of the bunch? I need a "one size fits most" 5'er to go with my US Lakland JO4 with flats.
    I do a bunch of P/W, rock, pop, reggae, top 40, and modern country. NO jazz, metal, punk, ect.

I've owned the SSII before, so I know how that one sounds/plays, but have never touched the rest, just read about them, and seen and heard video/clips.

Pick one, and why...

Thanks

2. the bass is as versatile as the person playing it. For example, a P bass with its basic tone controls and single pickup is used in many many genres of music.

3. to an extent.... :D

My Lakland JO4 with flats is NOT a versatile bass. The tone just doesn't cut it for all I do. (but I do not like the sound of rounds on that bass. the flats on that passive jazz make me tingle...for about 25% of the tunes I do.). Not forgetting the lack of low B.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    what's wrong with the sadowsky?

5. Gone. I better update my profile.
    Kinda looking for something un-jazz for a bit.

6. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    wheres the list

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    All of them. Seriously. They are all very well constructed basses. I usually associate Spector and Warwick with hard rock/metal, so I ended up voting for SKB.

The basses are all on par with each other, so the only decision is which looks/feels best to you.

8. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    Warwick SS1 IMO, IME

9. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Do you have a preference on scale length? Roscoe and Spector are 35" scale for 5ers while Warwicks are 34", so that might help narrow your list down. All are very well-made basses with a fairly aggressive, modern voicing.

If I were to vote, I would vote for Spector based purely on my own personal bias towards them, but I wouldn't say they are "better" for your needs, or anyone else's but mine.

10. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    I think that all 4 of them are superb instruments that won't let u down.
    Choose the one that is more comfortable to you, and if you still can't decide the one u like at most visually.
    Soundwise i really think you'll love any of them.

Personal preferance: Spector, because these are the most versatile spectors, because i like bolt-ons, and because i prefer EMGs, especially with the OBP-3 preamp.

11. Thanks so far. Keep it coming!