Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

most versatile preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peteroberts, Jun 24, 2002.

1. I'm kinda in the market for a preamp, something really good ... I will most likely be sending the signal out to my Crown CE1000 which has 1100w mono...to handle the biggest gigs. What preamp would you get to cover the biggest number of tones/sounds?

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I got the Ampeg SVP-Pro because it had the most variety in tone of the others I looked at. Trace Elliot V-Type and Warwick Quadrupplet were both great too, but more than I wanted to spend. I also tried a Demeter (model?) that had a great sound, but no variety at all. I tried also an SWR ISO, and thought it was ok too.

I don't think you could go wrong with an SVP-Pro or SWR ISO.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd vote either for an AMPEG SVP-PRO or a SanSamp RBI.

1st one is full of tubes, 2nd one is pure modelizing, but they're both weapons of choice.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    get an SVP-pro and a sansamp bass driver DI..

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

In terms of versatility, I have heard very good things about the Bass Pod and Bass Pod Pro. That's probably the way for you to go. You can get a ton of versatility with fancy parametric and/or graphic EQ, but how useable is that versatility if you can't store your favorite settings into an easily accessible patch/preset?

6. HannibalSpector

HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    Australia
    Sansamp RBI + Parametric EQ + active 3 way crossover maybe!?!
    ADA MB1s are versatile and a good sounding preamp

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Done!

I'm curious, are you using these in conjunction somehow?

Oh and I agree with comments made above, the SVP-Pro is a versatile pre.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    versatility= BAss Pod

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    SVP-pro is going to my cab.. the Sansamp goes to the house... works pretty good IMO

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    A sansamp RBI would be a great place to start. good tones, with good flexibility, and easy to use front panel. not to mention inexpensive.

if you're a tinkerer, then a rackmount Line6 BassPod would be a nice preamp. pretty much a swiss army knife. great for direct to tape recording. my friend loves how his keeps the gear in his tiny apartment to a minimum, all the while, recording killer bass tones.

if you've got serious moolah, then you could spring for Aguilar DB680. more tube tone than you can shake a stick at, with a parametric EQ that lets you gumby your tone into whatever your heart desires, and DI that keeps your tone so fresh and so clean for the board.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A vote for the RBI - it's analog, and has none of that brittle digital sound, IMO.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    how does the SVP-Pro compare to the BSP?

13. I would most definitely have to cast my vote in for the ADA MB-1. Not only does it have a great range of sounds, and tones, but it is entirely MIDI, and you can save your patches instantly, and call them back up later. I use mine to change from Hard Rock Distortion, to Soft Jazzy tones, at the flip of a button. It is a hybrid amp, so you can use the tubes in overdrive, or just a normal solid state sound. IMHO its the most versatile pre-amp