1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most Versitatle Passive Jazz bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi,

What pickups with an Audere preamp is the most versitatle passive pickups?

thanks

Arpeggi

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    If I knew the answer to this, I wouldn't be playing a P-bass while my Jazz sits on the stand. Honestly I'm on my 3rd set of jazz pickups and I keep coming back to Fender Original Bass pickups. :bag:

3. Arpeggi,

I went with Aeros, and here's my " customer satisfaction reply "

"Larry, they're beautiful! Full as a harvest moon, " throaty" I call it, deep lows , yet I can pluck up high on the G string and it rings clear as a bell with no squwak.

Lovely Lovey magnets here Sir. Wiring is quiet as well. AND... oh AND I can dial in the bridge pup exclusively w/o any more hum than first appears when you shut down the neck. ITS A P BASS! You can solo the pups very quietly. Cool. Very very cool.

Thank you Larry, these made my axe!

Gene"

Now, I have to back and hear 'em some more...I just finished putting the bass back together.

4. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    I was actually just looking at Aero's. Can you get good highs with them?

5. Completely unstrained, and my B string never sounded so clear. For the record, the oem pups I replaced were more "vintage" sounding. Also. Aero had me redo the wiring, and there's more tone varaition now, as opposed to oem Lakland.

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Hi Arpeggi

As far as single coil Aeros go, I have them on my second Ken Lawrence Brase I 5str (Swamp Ash with walnut top, 35"; the Aeros are paired with 3 band Bassline Preamp along with active/passive switch and slap switch). They are nice but then again I am not crazy over them: balanced sound but somehow subdued; not a lot of sparkling highs IME. I suppose you are talking about the passive, straight to the jack tone of them. My .02

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For the most versatility, I'd want noiseless. I'm happy with my Lindy Fralin Split-Jazz, which are very close to pure single coil tone and have worked for me in a variety of contexts. Others love Nordstrands, and I'd probably go with the NJ4SE for a heavy classic rock vibe.

8. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    What about sd's Antiquity II's??? Don't want to hijack this, but I'm also looking at good upgrade to my passive j-pups. I've tried the active route, and was never really happy with it, so passive all the way.

9. Ditto on the lsat statemnt, Only time it mattered is when the rent a sound guys had 50' of cabling for me to run through. Suspect the pre helped once in two years of gigs.
    BTW here's a comparo:

stock pickups

and Aero J5

Its an " all thumb" slap lesson, so maybe not the best comparison.