Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

most versitle bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cliff is god., May 9, 2003.

1. cliff is god.

cliff is god.

Apr 28, 2003
    what bass is good for playing everything,punk metal ska, all of, ti what is the best all around bass for less then 600 dollars

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    A used USA Fender Jazz would be my suggestion for almost any kind of music.

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My vote would be for a Musicman Stingray 5. IMO it would cover all basses.

4. Fender 4 string P Bass. They start out New at about $400.00 for MIM and go up from theire. These basses have been used for every type of music that can utilize an electric bass.

5. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Used G&L... L2K or ASAT.

They'll do anything and everything you need.

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I totally agree.Even though I own a couple of highend basses I still put my 74 Fender Jazz at the top of the heap

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ching! Winner.

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    [​IMG]

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yeah, that wishy has so many variations. just grab one of the horns and twist, it's like transformers!!!

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    For me I think the Roscoe Beck V

11. Interesting that the first 4 answers were all Leo Fender basses. The only one you missed was the G&L SB-2 which is a personal favourite of mine.

For me it's a toss up between the L-2000 and the SB-2.

12. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Either a Musicman or Jazz style bass of your choice will do the Job....

13. Since you only mentioned punk, metal and ska, I think a P-type (split pickup) will do you best. It won't do Jaco or Bootsy, not that that appears to be your interest, but with good roundwounds it will have great edge for aggressive picking, super deep bass, and a perfect old school sound when you need that. Another one worth a try is the recent '51 Precision re-issue. Has a great retro look. It doesn't sound like a P, but it has a great sound, much clearer and meatier than a J with the neck pickup all the way up and the bridge pickup all the way down. I mention this just in case a great picking sound is particularly important to you.

14. Well, it seems like you all missed the "under $600" part. :D G&L has the Legacy line that's supposed to be really good. The MTD Kingston and Heir basses are really nice, especially if you're looking into a five string. I have an Heir 5 and I love it.

15. Randumb

Randumb

Feb 2, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    My toughts exactly, except it doesn't meet the 600 and under criteria...

In the case of the 600 and under, I say the Fender P Bass