Most you have ever spent or would spend on a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brokenglassjaw, Jun 17, 2002.

1. The most i've spent was 250 on mine. Looking at a Cort 5 string that's $750 :( The most i'd spend is around 1grand. Unless it's a custom job ;)
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    (Edit-I thought he said how much would you spends, not how much have you spent...stupid, stupid!)

I have spend about 500, but that's just the beginning.
  3. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The most I think I've paid for a bass was $499.99 for a closeout brand new Fender American Series "Hot Rodded" Precision Bass in premium finish ash/Sunset Orange. That's more than 2/3 off.

Lovely bass.

I've got a brand new Sting coming in next week for $449.99, which is neither as good a deal as the one above, nor anywhere near as good a bass.

The best bass buy must be the $75 I spent to get my all-original Gibson Thunderbird II in '71 or so. It's still my #1 bass, but I wouldn't play out with it. Nice shape, sounds fantastic.
  4. The most I've ever spent on a bass is £665 (about $930). However, my wife spent £1300 ($1820) on my Czech Spector!
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    $945 on my MIA jazz bass.

6. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Paid $3000 for my Jack Read Custom 5. Worth every penny. Jack's work is as good as any of the more known luthiers and he is a super cool guy. Also, he charges very reasonable prices for his cutom work. Mine only cost so much because I got alot of expensive options. His site is
  7. Warwick SSII £2100.

8. the most expensive bass I ever bought is a MM Stingray....
  9. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    fender VI £750.....

the most ?..that would depend on the bass and my finances at the time.....
  10. I payed only $299 for my Yamaha BBG5A during a closeout sale. Retail at the time was $350, and I think they have been discontinued since then. It's the most expensive bass I've bought. I try to shop around and wait for good deals to come up instead of buying on impulse and overpaying.

Most I'd ever pay for a bass, probably $1500, unless I were to receive an unexpected sum of money, or came accroess a great deal that I couldn't pass up. But that is really subjective. $1500 sounds like a lot of money to me now, but 10 years from now, I'll be in a position where $1500 isn't so much money.
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Most i've spent on any bass so far is $1400 for my Stingray.... but I would pay $3-4000 for a fodera or sadowsky... I'm really wanting a fodera at the moment.. i'll have to start saving up. I'm about to spend $1000 on my new power amp and preamp :)
  12. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have never spent over $1100.00 bucks for a bass!
    I paid 1100.00 for my 79 Stingray and that was the biggest bass purchase I have spent.
    I have traded for 1400.00 dollar basses but nothing out of pocket.
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    About $3000 (each) for 2 Sadowsky's and a USA Spector NS-4.
  14. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    $500 for my 75 reissue.
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    all my conklins cost me between $2500 and $3800.

except the doubleneck which was about 2x that much.
  16. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    JT... I always wonder how in the hell you afford all those basses! :confused:

Seriously, man. Can I get in on it? I need some cash for my custom Darrin Huff bass! :D ( He's pulling a Jens Ritter thing and is going to start making his own tremolos! Woo hoo!
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Most ever spent: $2200 for a used MTD 535

Most I'd ever spend: if I were to find the perfect 5-string Precision bass (pretty please, Roger Sadowsky!) I might be able to scrape up $3500 or so and justify the expense to the wife.
  18. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I spend 4000$ (canadian) on a 4 string Sadowsky.
    Quilted maple top and cherry sunburst.
  19. $2200 CAD (~1450 US) for my 6 string F Bass. Worth every penny. My MIA Jazz V at half that price now sounds to me like a muddy thumper with limited tone range in comparison.
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

~$1900 for a used bass, and ~$1500 for a new one.