Mother of All Combos -- GK Neo 700RB 112!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basso Gruvitas, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Just picked a GK Neo 700 RB 112 up on Friday from Guitar Center. Apparently, not too many ordered...and I don't have any idea why more bassists don't own these!! IT SMOKES!!

Great EQ section. Very clear top end with all the articulation you could ever want. I love the contour setting -- it gets you the ultimate slap tone. It's got 350 watts going into the internal speaker, and it's PHAT!! I am so impressed by how full it sounds for its size. I had a trio gig Friday, playing in a medium banquet hall. And I was FILLING the room without even having the amp 1/3 up.

Note: I owned an SWR Workingman's 12 before this, so keep in mind it could ONLY get better from there! I am very pleasantly surprised by what I came home with. The GK really fills the room for practices, small, and medium gigs.

Based on other GK threads, sounds like they have worked out reliability problems. I used to own a 400 RB (from the Golden Years) and it was flawless -- Even got caught in the rain once and it never stopped working for me. I hope this new bass is as reliable as that old faithful head.

The judges say....the Neo 700 RB 112 ROCKS!:bassist:
  2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    awesome! I have the Neo 112 cab paired sometimes with the 1001-II head, it kicks bootay.
  3. Adrian Garcia also has the 1001RB 212 and loves it. And that's coming from a guy who used to have Bergantinos and an EBS preamp!:eek:
  4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Lots of good gear out there. Everything has it's little shining points for sure. I was was a Bergantino user full on, still use the HT115 occasionally, but I prefer the overall tone of the GK Neo 112 if I'm not pushing it too hard.
  5. What happens if you push it too hard?......:meh:
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    welcome to Gallien-Krueger and congrats!
    man, i have a 1001rbII and a Neo 212, then i have the same rig as a combo, and a 700rb112 like yours that Hairspray bought for me to use at the show , but alas, I wound up using headphones and a "shaker" installed under my chair for practical reasons ( it has to quite onstage, the drummer is 2 floors down in his own room) but i got to use it on rehearsals and i loved it! lots of tone from a small box! i wish they would have used a rollaway handle on it like they have on my 212 combo.
    GK gives me all the tone i need!

7. Adrian,
    Good to hear from you. Does Hairspray take up most of your time or do you still do live gigs -- and use the GK there? I have used my GK combo for a couple gigs and rehearsals. It absolutely sounds great. That tweeter is so accurate without being harsh.

I CANNOT IMAGINE having the drummer 2 floors away from me! My hats off to you for being able to manage that.
  8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Thanks, bro.
    Hairspray has taken up a lot of time because we have been rehearsing and doing a lot of preview shows- but i still took a couple of gigs after some one show nights. I mostly take the 212 combo for ease of setup, bass, music stand, book and amp in one easy trip, just roll away.
    Yeah, originally i was to be down there with the drummer, but then we have to run up 2 floors real fast to make the downbeat of the last three tunes where we appear onstage. I decided i liked seeing the conductor better in person than on a small video screen and i got a great headphone mix that i can change at any time, and best of all i don't have to run.:D
  9. Congrat guys.. I envy you..Hmm..

I have a question.. Does 700 Neo 112 comes with wheels like 1000 has? I am thinking buy one someday.. :help:

How are you Adrian.. I hope you are getting better..

10. Yo Jin,
    No the 700 Neo 112 does not have casters. It has a top strap and side flip-out handles. Very convenient. The GK website says it weighs around 80 pounds, but it feels more like 65-70 to me. Really not that bad for a hi-output combo.

I have one of those roller carts - so that's my fix if I have a lot of cartage to do.
  11. Just looked on their site...50lbs...might be what I'm looking much? And what DOES happen when you push too hard? You playin' a 5er?

12. Flipper,
    Expect to pay around $800-900 for it. I looked for it used, but apparently there aren't many out in the marketplace. Really hard for me to understand that.

I have 5-strings (Roscoes!) and the GK handles the low B beautifully. And AAALLLLLLLL the top end you would want.
  13. Boy I hate goin in GC but I guess I'm'a'gonna have to. I checked your profile, you've got quite a resume. Not that I was checkin' your story I just hate GC that much.

I've got another thread goin called Schizo Combos. This may be an answer to my dillema layed out there.

Thanks and congrats and enjoy!!!
  14. Flipper,
    I don't think you would HAVE to go to GC to get this. There are lots of bass retailers that would be happy to order this for you. I ordered it without ever hearing it. I just tried the 210 cabs and a couple heads. As I said I owned a 400 RB and loved it. I also talked with other players to get a report on GK's reliability of late.

FWIW: I would stay away from the Backline stuff if you really want a pro sound. The Backline stuff is probably fine for beginners or jam sessions, but for the gigs I do...or studio work, I would never bring that. Just my .02
  15. Thanks, I'll pay you back asap. I don't think I've ever heard a negative thing about GK reliability at least on their higher end stuff.
  16. Thanks for your quick response.. It is helpful..
    This is why I love TB.. :bassist:
  17. Me too, Oh...I'm guess I'm 14 hrs late.....Speaking of late, maybe I shoulda been a singer....