Mother of all Kubicki's-whats she worth???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, Jan 22, 2006.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    Hey, it's nice to be here! For my first post I'm seeking input from allayouz. I am trying to gauge the value of my Kubicki Ex Factor serial # 035. I have been watching E Bay prices for quite sometime but nothing on there has come close to this bass. Even Phil Kubicki doesn't have one with a serial # this low.
    This is the first one I ever saw and I ended up purchasing it from the original owner (Chicago player Derek Brand). He told me it was the 3rd one sold retail, the first going to John Taylor, the second went to Nashville.
    The electronics are hotter than anything I've ever come across, other Ex Factors included. P/U placement is slightly different and the Red+ Black factory finish is unique. That said, cosmetically the thing is worn to the wood in spots but that is because you can't put it down! Mechanically excellent w/ a fresh fret dressing and HSC.
    I'm considering trading for a new Lakland Skyline Jerry Scheff and would really appreciate your honest appraisal. Are Kubicki's collectable yet?
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002

That's not to say that there aren't people who collect them, but they are not an item of recognized collectability. Other than vintage Fenders, Carl Thompsons, Zemaitis', and to a degree, Foderas, very little out there in the bass world has solid investment potential. Not to mention "older" isn't necessarily considered more desirable in instruments other than vintage's often less desirable as people expect a luthier's skills to improve as time goes on.

I've seen Kubickis go for $900-$1400 used. If yours is really beat up, I'd put it at the low end of that spectrum.
  3. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
  4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Are you kidding? DON'T! Keep that kubicki, I often wish I had kept mine.
  5. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    Wouldn't even consider it Pickles if I didn't have a spare! (#524 in Pearl Pink)
    Thank you for the perspective. It turns out I scored a Scheff last night on eBay and Kubicki #035 will probably be listed next week to cover the cost.
    I'll let you all know how it turns out.
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You don't happen to live in LA do you? I played a pink ex factor from that era on a session in studio city one time. It was a GREAT bass.
  7. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Hve you checked out the kubicki-basses yahoo group?
    Lots of kubicki fans there and if you wanted to find a new home for the bass that would probably be an ideal spot to start with.
  8. fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    I sold my kubicki over christmas and bought a new roscoe
    beck 5,my kubicki was 14 yrs in new condition,but i got tired of the short scale and the tone.
  9. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    No, I'm a midwestern boy but I do get around and people do tend to remember 'the guy with pink bass'. It is Pepto Bismol Pink Pearl and looks fab under a blue gel. I spoke w/Phil and he remembered "the pink ones" so it sounds like a one batch deal. I bought it new in 88 when they were still being retailed. It's a keeper.
    Hey, thanks for the tip about the Yahoo group, I will definately check it out. This a great forum and I can see I'll be wasting, I mean spending some time here. I'll post a photo of my units as soon as I figure out how to do it. Later
  10. emblymouse

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    OK folks, we are live on eBay so lets see what the market says about old Kubickis'. So far so good...