Mother of All Mingus Box Sets?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by notduane, Mar 3, 2001.

1. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I thought it was cool when I snagged the THREE CD set "The Complete 1959 CBS
    Charles Mingus Sessions"

Then I saw "Passions of a Man: The Complete Atlantic Recordings (1956-1961)"
    SIX CD box set at online stores.

Last nite, I was in a local Barnes and Nobles which has a surprisingly good jazz section.
    Raidin' their Jaco and Tower of Power stock dontcha' know :D . When I went up to
    check out, I saw this...

"The Complete Debut Recordings". TWELVE CDs :eek: ~ $200. It's been out since `91.
    Guess I wasn't lookin' that hard :p .

( )
  2. I feel your pain (but at least I'm not lying when I say that). While I would love to have all these box sets, the $$$$ just need to go elsewhere.

*need to save up for that fretless GT7*

For anyone who has read "Beneath the Underdog", I just picked up "Mingus- A Critical Biography". It tells more about his playing and recordings more than his life, altho both are taken in good detail. And it has appendices with manuscript passages from some of his tunes (including the the bass solo from Hatian Fight Song- '57). I'm not all the way thru it, but so far very cool. And I found it at Half Price Books for $7.98, altho I also saw it at Borders foe $16.00.
    It is by Brian Priestley and is published by Da Capo Press.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I have 2 of the 3 boxes you've posted(guess which one I don't have...). ;) And, yes, I bought them dirt cheap at one of the cd clubs...(I already had Ah Um & Dynasty & I bought 'em again to ahve them on disc/remastered).
    Meanwhile, I'm still hoping Candid Records re-issues The Newport Rebels w/ Mingus...a SINGLE cd with a pretty eclectic bunch performing together.

Thanks, Fretless5, for reminding me that I need to hit that Priestly bio of Mingus again.
    BTW, check out "Example 8" in Appendix A; there's a very brief transcription to "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting"...there's an example of the kinda stuff I'm usually babbling about around here. If you notice, the TOP line is in 6/4 while the BOTTOM line is in 4/4. However, BOTH are occupying the SAME AMOUNT OF SPACE. That means, in mathematical terms, the 6/4 part must be played 1.5x's "faster" than the 4/4 part. Note that the 6/4 part is @270 & the 4/4 part is @180(180 x 1.5 = 270).
    That's the s***! ;)
  4. same as you guys i have the first 2 but not the last one, i also have Ah Um prior to buying Sessions.

$200 is a little expensive, but i will probally end up putting it on my wish list anyways
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Sorry, I been nappin'. It wuz kinda' funny at B&N actually. I had some
    room on my "CD buyin'" credit card. I really only wanted Rocco's "Everybody
    on The Bus", honest :rolleyes: . Started off in Classical lookin' for somethin'
    by Rodion Azarhkin (sp?) - nada. DID find Itzhak Perlman doin' Paganini's 24 Caprices :) .
    Hmmm...there's the "Pop/Rock" section. Next :p , I'm over in Jazz.
    They had a boat-load of Jaco. Snagged all but the one I already had.
    No Rocco :( , but plenty of T.O.P. Grabbed a bunch of those. Paused a
    moment too consider my limit...I better get outta' here :eek: . I was at
    the checkout when I saw that Mingus 12-CD set. AHHH! Maybe next time ;) .
  6. on the bus is a pretty good disk, well at least i like it.
  7. That is what I love about his composing style. So often if you don't really listen to what his music is doing you say "wow, that's amazing. None of it should fit together". But it does........
    And then, to sit down and really analyze it and see how it does fit....