1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mother spider and hundred of babies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by fishman10, Aug 15, 2012.

1. fishman10

fishman10

Apr 13, 2012
  2. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

Apr 30, 2012
    Albuquerque
    Great pics, especially of the mother. I don't know that I'd want to get close enough to get those shots. Haha.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Amazing shots! We had a mama spider in our kitchen window get really huge and then lay a giant egg like that. I used to watch her with my son, who called her "Charlotte". We never saw the egg hatch, and never even knew whether it did or not. What did this egg look like after the little ones had escaped?

4. beautiful and ugly at the same time. love it.

5. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Here's a video series you may be interested in. I was wondering about the life cycle of the cicada as I have found a few larval casings and dead bugs while hiking and I like to show them off while supply teaching.

Anyway, I found Life in the Undergrowth by David Attenborough.

You might be interested in the amazing macro-photography. How they track along the cicadas and keep them in focus without hand-held jitters, I have no idea.

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Thought of you tonight on my way to my gig, Fishman10. I had a hobo spider on my bass bag and it didn't want to let go. I might have actually gotten bitten by it, trying to get it off (which was harder than you would think). I didn't feel it but one of my fingers swelled up.

What is it with spiders and bass players all of a sudden?

7. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Nice shots! I've always had a bit of a spider phobia (it's not nearly as bad now) but have also long had a fascination with spiders. They're such cool creatures. Ah, there's one on the ceiling now... :)

8. koipond

koipond

Dec 8, 2011
    los angeles, ca
    Kill them! Kill them with fire!