Mother's finest

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jère, Feb 7, 2000.

1. I've heard about this band, but I don't know much about it.

Do you know a bit about them (records, style... etc).

Any infos would be welcome.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, I gotta couple albums by them...I was re-reading an old BP the other day & Wyzard(Mothers' Finest's bassist)was covered.
    One of their big hits was called "Love Changes"-a very soulful tune; a lot of their material was in a Hard Rock/Funk has been a loong time since I last played one of their records. They would probably do "OK" in today's music market; back in the late '70s-early '80s...I dunno, I guess they were difficult to categorize.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    they were a good band that i think had the
    same problem a lot of black rock/funk bands have, radio didn't know were to put them.
    white radio wouldn't play them because they
    were funky, and black radio wouldn't play them because they rocked. look at living colour they were one of the best bands in the last
    couple decades but had to disband because the
    powers that be couldn't but them in any box.

aloha, jerry
  4. Ok.

I love Living Colour, and although I was too young when this band was actually playing, I know that they've never been very famous, and that's bad, because of the creativity and the power of this band.

I'm looking at my CD store this week about Mother's Finest records. Is there a 'best of' or something like this, something what I could begin with (I don't like 'best of's').

5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Living Colour will always be one of my favorite bands; I think VIVID is awesome! They did get the S*** treatment from the suits, though.
    Believe it or not-I've never been a big fan of Hendrix...somebody gave me ARE YOU EXPERIENCED(remastered edition)for Christmas(all these years & I never owned it). Anyway, I kinda got hooked on this stuff & went out & bought a few of the other remastered cds. I know some prefer Hendrix with Mitchell/Redding & others like Hendrix with Miles/Cox...the one cd that is supposed to be Hendrix' LAST studio album(FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN)has cuts with Mitch Mitchell & Billy Cox; man, they're funky!

Jere-I have MOTHER'S FINEST & MOTHER FACTOR; like I said, it's been awhile since they've been played. MOTHER FACTOR does have "Love Changes" on it...I do remember I dug that particular tune. Anyway, I'm not too big on "Greatest Hits" cds, either; maybe the MF's one is "OK".
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Mother's Finest ROCK! Probably still active today?

Living Colour were a great band but only close second to the 24-7 SPYZ!
    They are IMO the best and most original band Funk-Metal band ever - check out 'Strength In Numbers' or '6' (w/ Doug Pinnick as a guest).
  7. Pheadjack

May 2, 2012
    I saw Mother's Finest at the Six Flags outdoor amphitheater when I was in high school 1981. I was sitting on the hill that surrounded the concert area when it started. They turned off the lights; then all you heard was one solid low bass note. The sound built until the whole hill was vibrating. Then as the thrumming from that note reached a crescendo, there was a kick beat from the drums and the stage blazed to life into 'Piece of the Rock' ! :bassist: I jumped up and started making my way though the crowd to the stage edge, cause I just had to see this group up close. It was stellar !
    I was close to one side so I could see Wyzard doing his thing on the bass and get a good view of Baby Jean strutting her stuff ! That concert changed my musical life. I didn't realize it at the time, but I think that's why I got interested in the Bass.
  8. bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
  9. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    In the dog house.
    Another Mother Further is a an all time classic. Mickey's Monkey, Baby Love, Piece of the Rock, a funked out Burning Love.

Wyzard is aptly named. I saw them many moons ago. During his solo break he broke out in a slap rendition of the theme from Green Acres.

That band could lay it down. It's a very psychological thing that's happening here.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Wyzard and Mothers Finest are still pretty much in the game with tours and recordings. Just not really doing anything in the states.

And Living Colour tours more than most can imagine. Just go to their web site and see how much touring they've done in the last 5 years alone. As a matter of fact LC will be touring the states this year with a new cd.