Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Motion Box Set...Worth It?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by VTDB, Dec 16, 2005.

1. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    I'm looking for some opinions on the Lee Konitz "Motion" box set. Is it worth the extra $$$? Anybody have it that would like share their opinions?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The other two records have (fabulous) Nick Stabulas on drums, Nick was Sonny Dallas section mate in Lennie's band so in some ways the recordings with Lee and Sonny are a "truer" representation of that whole approach. However the energy level is a LOT different with Elvin. Hearing the outttakes from the first record is nice, the outatkes and false starts on the other records a little less so. Sometimes it sounds like there's only one working mic in the room.
    There are more Sonny Dallas solos on the 2nd and 3rd sessions, so (to me) that's worth the price of admission right there.

3. VTDB

VTDB

Oct 19, 2004
    VeeTee
    I guess thats really what I wanted to know. Someone just recently played me a track from "Motion" (the non box-set version) and I was really blown away by the bass player.