Motivation and Inspiration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MasterChief, Nov 7, 2003.

1. MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    What kind of things can I do to stay motivated and inspired to play bass and continue learning as much as I can? I just love picking up my bass and playing for hours. I want to learn new techniques, styles, etc. I want to study different music such as blues, jazz, etc. But I can never stay motivated or inspired to follow through. I have the right idea in mind, I just don't do it. It really gets me down because I know I want to but all that hard work intimidates me I guess. If I learn like one new riff in a book, I just play away with it, add some stuff to it and everything. This happens with me in everything I do in life. I never stay motivated enough. I don't have a lot of money so I can't go out and buy books constantly and everything.

My favorite genres of music: Blues and Rock. I really love what I classify as classic rock: The Doors, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, the Ramones, the Rolling Stones, Iron Butterfly, the Strokes, and anyone with the classic rock kind of feel.

My favorite band is the White Stripes.
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Motivation can be a tricky matter. I think a big stimulus to motivation is having a definite, clearly stated, unambiguous goal. For example, are you currently in a band or are you currently trying to get in a band?

Just playing and practicing by yourself will most likely lead to motivation problems because bass guitar is not primarily a solo instrument and therefore does not lend itself to satisfying noodling with no objective in sight.

Nothing motivated me like being in a gigging band. In such a case, you HAVE to learn and improve or you look bad in front of your bandmates and your audience. Playing gigs gives your bass playing a reason and an objective. Playing alone in your room just won't do that on a long term basis. Why? Because if you don't have to sound good for someone other than yourself, it is too easy to drop the ball and not progress and not do the boring, "unfun", but necessary things you need to do to progress.

Also, it is too easy to postpone a practice session if you aren't in the mood and too easy to not learn a new scale or chord because it isn't really fun and you don't see how or why you would ever apply it.

If you are having motivation problems, audition for bands. Put the pressure on yourself. Even if you don't get the gigs, you may quickly discover what you are lacking and what you are neglecting.

There is one other thing seldom mentioned here, but it is often the root cause of motivation problems with would-be musicians. Some folks confuse a love of music with a desire to play that music or play an instrument associated with that music style. But often the demands of doing so are just more than the person really wants to commit.

I love harp music, but I don't think I'll ever play harp. I long ago decided just to respect and appreciate those who do, but I will not devote time and money to taking up that beautiful instrument myself. And there is nothing wrong with that choice whatsoever. It is possible to be perfectly content listening to the music we love without ever playing an instrument connected with it.