Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Phunky, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Hello, I'm 18 year old and i've been playing bass for about a year now. I know no notation, my only learning-source has been learning of songs by ear. I've learned some Weather Report-tunes mostly on the Black Market album (what a great album!) and a hell of alot of Jamiroquai. But the problem is that I never learn much new stuff and i'm stuck playing the same old songs, which is resulting in quite boring improvments when playing.. so what do you do to get more motivated? :)
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. Get a teacher.

2. Learn how to read music.

3. Start writing songs.
  3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I don't know how good you sound when you are doing it, but if you are learning Weather Report by ear that's impressive. I would get more CD's and keep going, and if you are bored just keep buying Weather Report CD's and I think you may eventually get a challenge or two!!
    Learing by ear is an important skill, many beginning players concentrate primarily on reading Music or Tab and it becomes a limitation because they are unable to inspire themselves through listening, it also takes them longer to develop the skills needed to play in a band situation with other musicians...HOWEVER...
    ..........not knowing how to read music and having poor technique can also be a limiting factor as well so getting an instructor is a good idea.
    Do you need to have good technique and be able to read music to be an outstanding bass player??? NO, but don't limit yourself!!
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The greatest motivator I know of is to get in a band, any band, any kind of music even it is music you don't really like. You'll find out right quick what your strenghts are and what your weaknesses are. You will really want to work on those weaknesses so you don't look like a dork in front of your band members.

If it is a band that does gigs, and not just garage jams, the motivation to improve will be even greater because you will not want to embarrass yourself or the band in front of paying customers.

If there is no band near you, try to start one, even if it is just a duet or a trio. I promise you that you will improve fast and you won't need to worry about lack of motivation.

By the way, I am no end of impressed. I never could have played Weather Report music by ear after just one year on the bass. You have talent and potential going to waste. Get yourself into a band forthwith.