Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Motorcycle Madness, Tufnuts style

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tufnuts, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Hi all. Just finished another "Cafe" bike. Here's the before and after. I'm going into what all I did, it takes to long.

Total cost is $651 dollars. 1979 Suzuki GS550EN. Bikes are fun.

Let's see some more motorcycles folks!

2. Very sleek! It's very smooth and modern while retaining a bit of classic bike looks. I actually really dig the reverse mounted tank. I can't say i've seen another tank like that...and i like the minimalist front fender and the smoothed out back. Congrats!

One piece of friendly advice i have is try to mount a set of straight drag bars on that thing. A co-worker of mine has this older kawasaki that is very similar in appearance to your before shot and has the straight drag bars with no back sweep and they look perfect with that bike.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Nice work.... and good choice of color.

I just picked up a 1973 CB350F the other day. Let the restoration madness begin!

4. The tank was done to clear the "clip-ons" that I used instead of standard handlebars. This way the full lock could be used on the turning.

The whole bike was an exercise into what I can do w/ trash. The bike was a $100 throwaway from a person. The gastank and rear section were made from gastanks that were in the trash at work. I tryed to buy used as much as possible.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
  6. I have a 1971 CL350 in the garage that I'm getting going for a guy at work. Kinda fun.

Those 350cc honda 4's are neato. Honda = pimpness

7. That's actually Hammertone silver from a rattlecan. Paintjob = $5

I'll have it correctly done this winter. I'll black powdercoat the frame, and paint the bodywork with BassBoat silver flake.

8. im still working on my fxs,just got the frame back from the powder coat guy,and the motor is still being rebuilt by a local shop,i have a yamaha 400 that i bought for my son so he could learn how to ride its been sitting in my garage,i was actually thinking about trashing it,after seeing what you did with this bike i never had that kinda idea ,looks very cool, i bought a new road king ,are you still working for big dog,i think they have a store new hope pa.,i want to check out the bikes there,heres a pic of my roadking

9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well, o.k.

Here's mine. This pic was shot just west of Baker City, Oregon on our way back home from Boise, Idaho.

Actually this is my first post on Talk Bass ever.

At least this thing rumbles!

I hope I got attachments figured out.

And these smiley thingys!

:bassist:

Nice to meet y'all.

Joe.

10. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Yamaha DT200. Its not mine but i get to drive when I get old enough. But I drive it in my vast backyard almost everyday.

My dad also had a Honda something then sold to buy a costumized 93 Hondo Goldwing

[​IMG] Not this one but just like it

11. Yuppers :) Still at Big Dog. Just getting the new 2005's finished up for production. Busy, but a good busy.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Nice work Tufnuts! Geeze, I wish I was handy with things like that.....but I'm not! So I just buy the factory made bike and bolt on a few after market accessories.

I have a 2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R - just like the pic......except mine is red! It now has a double bubble screen, carbon can, carbon look hugger and crash bobbins(confidence thing here........I'm not confident that at some point I won't drop it, bobbins are cheaper than new fairing!). I also added a sports rack so I can stick on a top box if I need to carry anything!

Scary thing is, if I add up what all my accessories cost......if probably translates to what you paid for your entire bike project :eek:

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    They were onto something with those CB's. My 30+ year old bike starts up on the first try everytime. Just needs a little TLC, some spit&polish and she will be just fine.... and seeing that you have expertise in the field of bikes, I will probably be hitting you up for tips from time to time....