1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

motorhead ace of spades tab please

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by kitcar765, Apr 14, 2006.

1. can someone tab this out for me, i found a few tabs but they dont seem right, and dont have the slide right at the start, cheers

2. this is an easy one, why not try doing it by ear if its just one slide that doesnt sound right. give it a try. if you cant ill post the tab soon.

3. i have given it a few goes, i think im pretty near, but it still sounds a little off, would love some help

4. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    hi guys im the same some bits of the tab i got just sounded a bit of?

bumpage so ppl can post the tab?

5. MrBorisSpider

MrBorisSpider Banned

May 8, 2008
    It probably sounds off because Lemmy downtuned a half-step. Also, he plays a lot of power chords (root-5th). Ace of Spades doesn't sound right if you play just the roots. Try the keys E, F#, and G. Those tend to be fairly common Motorhead keys. If those don't sound right, try other common keys like A or C.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    i had thought he plays chords in a few parts thanks,

also the tab i have is a bit fuzzy with regards to what he plays in the solo any help? or a place i can find the write tab at the mo im using the one from ulimateguitartabsarchive.com

thanks

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Here's my transcription trying to show the way I play it, which is a blend of the studio version with some stuff I like from Motörhead's live performances (Like measures 63-64, for instance. You won't hear that on the studio version). I can tell you: It definitely works.

Please notice that this transcription is intended to be played on a bass with standard tuning. Lemmy plays the whole tune one fret higher, but he tunes down his instrument one half step.

AceOfSpadesbassline01-1.
    AceOfSpadesbass02-1.
    AceOfSpadesbass03-1.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    What program did you use for that transcription?

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

This one. I've been a loyal user since 1999.

10. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Thanks. Stiff price, though.

11. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    write i kinda understand that but i have a completely dif tab, what notes does he play thru the solo i know it starts with the norm riff ie> 6 6 66 6 6 66 4

but then it goes up then up again then back to norm help?

andy

p.s. please don't be to harsh!

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Hey man, it's not like that. The guitar solo is played over different chord changes. Check my transcription on page 2, 5th staff. The solo starts there and ends at the "D.S. al Coda" sign on page 3.

13. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    erm... Free? Finale Notepad is a free download. It'll do a lot of stuff. If you need more then Songwriter is $40 and PrintMusic is $90 and will do everything a normal person needs. You absolutly dont need "full" finale. Personally I think it's a great price.

OnT: The chords at the start of the verse (Gb5) are the most critical. You can let them ring and the guitar will carry the rhythm but you really need the 5th there. The rest of the time you can get by fine with single notes.

It's so weird seeing Motorhead in notation! (nice work!) I don't know why you'd play it in Eb though - it's in Em and they happen to be tuned down.

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Of course! I just notated it in a way it can be heard in the original key without detuning the instrument. :)

15. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    wo! he only changes position twice! sounds so much more on the recording! dnt suppose you know what the little run he does live in the solo is?

also found out today that modulus fb4 + boss blues driver = pefect tone for this song till i get a rick lol

thanks for all your help man

16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

No. It's only 8 measures of Abm, 8 measures of Bbm and 8 measures of Abm (Actual pitches heard).

Which live version? At least on the studio recording, no runs there.

I've just paid attention to a cool melody played by Lemmy on one live video, just before the end of the song. I've just re-notated the tune exactly after the guitar solo ends:

AceOfSpadesalt01.
    AceOfSpadesalt02.

But the only difference with my original transcription is found on the second page, whole 2nd staff (Six measures). Third and fourth staves are the song's coda.

17. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    cool man thanks alot, it in the performance on there new dvd, i think its probs the vid you got the outro of coz it looks similar.

very cool.

motorhead rock!