1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Motown and Soul Sheet Music?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by davidjackson, Aug 26, 2012.

1. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    Hi guys.

I am looking for some really good online sources for sheet music (not tab) for Motown and soul classics. I'm playing in a Motown covers band so will be trying to track down lots of sheet music including anything from the Jamerson/Babbitt tracks.

I already have the Dr Licks book which is a help.

I know I could work a lot of this stuff out by ear but I have a full time job, a young family, and limited practice time. I also really want to improve my sight reading.

I am not looking to freeload here so am prepared to pay a few dollars/pounds/euros for individual pieces.

Any good online sources that you guys would recommend?

Thanks.

2. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
  3. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010
    Try Motown Bass Classics. There's alot of overlap with SitSoM but enough new and enough that elaborates on what's in SitSom to make it worthwhile. Use it and SitSom to come up to speed on Motown tunes for a short stint I did in a Motown band a couple of years ago.

4. JonKeys

JonKeys

Mar 5, 2017
  5. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

I see that the OP is in the UK. David, good on ya for going after the real deal. In the US or elsewhere, one can do an Amazon search for "Motown bass book" to find several good books published by Hal Leonard and others.

And thanks to those who posted links to transcriptions. You'll be keeping me busy for quite some time! :bassist: