1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Motown DI (?)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by 1176, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 1176

Jun 8, 2011
    Somerville, Mass
    reposted from the other Motown thread.....

Direct Box (DI box) vintage MOTOWN STUDIOS

think this is for real? the only Motown DI I know of is the multi-channel tube-powered box in Detroit used for bass & guitars in the Snakepit. never seen any documentation about a passive DI.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Seems plausible that they would have had at least one DI box that wasn't built into the wall.

3. 1176

Jun 8, 2011
    Somerville, Mass
    gotta contact Bob Olhsson about this one....

4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Plausible but fishier than mermaid farts.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's all beaten up...looks legit to me.

:D

Honestly, I wouldn't care if it was or not. Sounds like it'd be a great item if it works. It's worth $350 if it sounds like it's worth $350.

6. 1176

Jun 8, 2011
    Somerville, Mass
    contacted the seller. he seems OK but there's absolutely no documentation. he pretty much just reiterated what's in the ad. I'll bet I can find a similar UTC trafo somewhere & build my own for a LOT less than this.

7. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    1176, Could you make a run of them so I can get one too?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You might be able to build one, but looking on Ebay, the BIN's for A-11s are like $100+. You might be able to build them for much less than $350, but I'll bet you wouldn't sell it for less than $350 ;)

9. 1176

Jun 8, 2011
    Somerville, Mass
    ha. it's true. I'd be just building it for my own use anyway. selling a passive DI with no documentation for $350 is kind of a fool's errand anyway, dig?

N.F.A., I'd give it a shot but I'm not exactly a professional manufacturing concern. I've built buffers & splitters & pedals but never a DI before. I'll keep this thread updated with my results if I find a good affordable transformer to work with.

10. kerrycares

kerrycares Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    Motown Museum

you might want to call the studio and ask them to authenticate it.

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Were you able to get ahold of Bob? It seems to me he'd be a really good person to ask.

12. 1176

Jun 8, 2011
    Somerville, Mass
    sent him a message, we'll see.

missed out on a UTC A-11 on eBay today for under a hundred. oh, well. it'll come along sooner or later.

also, not to derail my own thread, but remember this?

Name that gear... "The Fat Boy Box" - Gearslutz.com

in doing my DI research lately I've realized it bears more than a slight resemblance to this guy, built by Bruce Swedien:

thriller - the michael jackson classic - the bass synth in p.y.t. ?? - Gearslutz.com

makes me want to grab an old UTC LS 10X for my own build, but man do those go for some serious coin.

13. 1176

Jun 8, 2011
    Somerville, Mass
    God Bless Bob Olhsson. can't say the man wastes words.

"not from Motown."

14. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I love Bob Olhsson!! What a treasure of misc posts of his over the decades all over the net. And yep, word quantity not his calling card!

Figured he'd be the definitive word on this! And woe is the one who would doubt those three words ! : )