Motown Remixed...Anyone heard it? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phil Smith, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS

Some DJ's and producers have put their spin on some motown hits. Here's a list:

1. I Want You Back / Jackson 5 // Z-Trip Remix
    2. I Heard It Through The Grapevine / Gladys Knight & The Pips // Sympathy For The Grapes Mix by The Randy Watson Experience
    3. Let's Get It On / Marvin Gaye // Paul Simpson & Miles Dalto MPG Groove Mix
    4. Signed, Sealed & Delivered I'm Yours / Stevie Wonder // DJ Smash Essential Funk Mix
    5. ABC / Jackson 5 // Salaam Remi Krunk-A-Delic Party Mix
    6. I Just Want To Celebrate / Rare Earth // Mocean Worker Remix
    7. Papa Was A Rollin' Stone / The Temptations // DJ Jazzy Jeff & Pete Kuzma Solefull Remix
    8. Quiet Storm / Smokey Robinson // Groove Boutique Remix featuring guest soloist Roy Ayers'
    9. My World Is Empty Without You / Diana Ross & The Supremes // Tranzition Remix
    10. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) / The Temptations // Easy Mo Bee Remix
    11. Smiling Faces Sometimes / Undisputed Truth // Futureshock Main Ingredient Mix
    12. The Tears Of A Clown / Smokey Robinson & The Miracles // Hotsnax Remix
    13. Keep On Truckin' / Eddie Kendricks // DJ Spinna Remix
    14. War / Edwin Starr // King Britt Remix
    15. Mary Jane / Rick James // DJ Green Lantern Evil Genius Remix - Bonus Mix

I've heard track 3 and track 9 and if they represent the remaining tracks it's really sad, I mean sad. Why remix a great song and make it mediocre? Anyone have any thoughts?
  2. I'm 'an old guy' who loves the original Motown stuff and a lot of those tunes still get called on some of my free lance gigs. You would think I would be ranting on this stuff, but I heard the remix of 'I just want to celebrate' and totally dug it. That tune (it's the only one I heard) was remixed with respect and it freshened it up for me. I totally dug it. I also like the Michael McDonald Motown stuff (which I'm sure a lot of people hate). Any time someone attempts to take great tunes and make them more relevant for a younger audience (or in McDonald's case, maybe an audience that never really listened to the originals that much), I say it's cool.
  3. Are these the same cats that put together the "Verve Remixxed" series? If so, then I imagine this project is going to be stellar.

If you get a chance, get the 2-pack of the Verve's absolutely great electro-jazz, reimagined.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to CD now to buy it in 2 shakes.