1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Motown Remixed...Anyone heard it? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phil Smith, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    http://motownremixed.com

Some DJ's and producers have put their spin on some motown hits. Here's a list:

1. I Want You Back / Jackson 5 // Z-Trip Remix
    2. I Heard It Through The Grapevine / Gladys Knight & The Pips // Sympathy For The Grapes Mix by The Randy Watson Experience
    3. Let's Get It On / Marvin Gaye // Paul Simpson & Miles Dalto MPG Groove Mix
    4. Signed, Sealed & Delivered I'm Yours / Stevie Wonder // DJ Smash Essential Funk Mix
    5. ABC / Jackson 5 // Salaam Remi Krunk-A-Delic Party Mix
    6. I Just Want To Celebrate / Rare Earth // Mocean Worker Remix
    7. Papa Was A Rollin' Stone / The Temptations // DJ Jazzy Jeff & Pete Kuzma Solefull Remix
    8. Quiet Storm / Smokey Robinson // Groove Boutique Remix featuring guest soloist Roy Ayers'
    9. My World Is Empty Without You / Diana Ross & The Supremes // Tranzition Remix
    10. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) / The Temptations // Easy Mo Bee Remix
    11. Smiling Faces Sometimes / Undisputed Truth // Futureshock Main Ingredient Mix
    12. The Tears Of A Clown / Smokey Robinson & The Miracles // Hotsnax Remix
    13. Keep On Truckin' / Eddie Kendricks // DJ Spinna Remix
    14. War / Edwin Starr // King Britt Remix
    15. Mary Jane / Rick James // DJ Green Lantern Evil Genius Remix - Bonus Mix

I've heard track 3 and track 9 and if they represent the remaining tracks it's really sad, I mean sad. Why remix a great song and make it mediocre? Anyone have any thoughts?

2. I'm 'an old guy' who loves the original Motown stuff and a lot of those tunes still get called on some of my free lance gigs. You would think I would be ranting on this stuff, but I heard the remix of 'I just want to celebrate' and totally dug it. That tune (it's the only one I heard) was remixed with respect and it freshened it up for me. I totally dug it. I also like the Michael McDonald Motown stuff (which I'm sure a lot of people hate). Any time someone attempts to take great tunes and make them more relevant for a younger audience (or in McDonald's case, maybe an audience that never really listened to the originals that much), I say it's cool.

3. Are these the same cats that put together the "Verve Remixxed" series? If so, then I imagine this project is going to be stellar.

If you get a chance, get the 2-pack of the Verve Remixxed...it's absolutely great electro-jazz, reimagined.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to CD now to buy it in 2 shakes.