Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Motown sound setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Jan 15, 2004.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Along with probably most of the other bassists out there, I've been playing around with muting my strings with foam.

So, what does everyone out there use, and how much of it?

2. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've experimented with this, just using some light foam I had lying around from who knows where. I tried different thicknesses and lengths 'til I came up with the right thump deadness. So not a real educated response here, just a suggestion to try different configs and see what does it for you.

BTW, just saw the Funk Bros from the front row at House of Blues, Babbitt has about a 1/2 - 3/4" square cross-section chunk of foam down by the bridge. They sounded great, from where I was the vocals were very light in the mix since I had all the stage amps but not the vocal monitors, sounded wonderful to hear the guitars on the right, keys on the left, Babbitt in my face...! And he nearly crushed my hand when I shook hands with him after the show!

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hey, I saw them recently also. And since I am also from Long Beach, maybe we went to the same show. Small world, eh? :)

4. Hey Bulldog, try some foam that is normally used for sound.

Or foam from an old mattress, it all works. You'll need to cut it to your taste, then play around with it!

http://www.foamorder.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Have any of you tried using a palm mute instead.

Means you can move between different techniques very easily. If your worrried about speed then add in a finger(s) or even try the equivilant of double thumping in a palm mute position.

You can also vary the amount of muting with your palm as opposed to having to use different thicknesses of foam.

Just a thought ;)

6. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I started with using my right hand. But as you indicated, this is better when you are varying the effect, and for some of the older tunes, you just want a consistent (thud). I had gone down to the local craft store and bought a bunch of scraps, and have had fun (and annoying my bandmates :rolleyes: ) trying them all out.

7. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Ah, fair enough buldog5151bass ;)

8. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Hey - who knows? It's interesting to see what everyone does. Now, one of these days I gotta get an old P with the mute on, and try that.

Cool and thanks to all the Motown heads out there.

9. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Remeber buldog5151bass if you want to play those old motwon tunes like James did you'll have to do it with one finger :eek:

10. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    And jack the action up to 1-1/2"!!! :D

11. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Sh*t - I couldn't do everything he played if you gave me 15 (I have NO idea how he played some of those runs with just one finger).

And for the action - no problem - just put my bass in front of the furnace for a week.

By the way, I've been to the Motown museum twice. If you haven't been there, you cannot believe how small the studio is. They had some of the instruments moved around from how it supposedly was, but in my mind I tried to see how 3 guitars, bass, three percussion, two keyboards, horns and singers could even stand there, let alone play.

If you have never been there, it is a trip, and Detroit is not a bad city.

12. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Have any of you seen the Standing In The Shadows Of Motown movie yet.

I got it on dvd last week and it hasnlt been out of the player since. Some great sections on Babbit and Jamerson

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Yes - it's a brilliant film. I've seen it at the cinema and definitely plan on getting the DVD sometime. I thought it was a great mixture of music and history - also very salutary for anyone who thinks that 'making it' is just a matter of having enough talent.

Wulf

14. I have the DVD and the Book,,,,,,,,,,good stuff for sure!

[​IMG]
    Treena

16. When I want a muted sound, I usually mute with my left hand. I put my palm across the strings so that I just use my index and middle fingers to fret the notes. This is how Rocco Prestia plays all the time. It certaintly worked for him, and it's also great for imitating the sound of a foam mute. Palm muting is also cool, but it sounds different. I'd recommend trying them both out.

17. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
  18. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Well - I spent the day with a pair of scissors and some foam - still not happy with the sound compared to my right palm (and - yes, there is a sick joke in that line).

19. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Hmmm, I wonder if a sponge like one finds in the kitchen would work. Best part is.....they come in colors! :D

20. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    I developed my source for the mute while I was at Tobais Guitars, we had a fairly hard foam (like used on the original P & J basses) for supporting the pickup. I would cut mutes of various sizes till I got the effect I was looking for. The mute is only one element though, I had to find the right amp that was suited for a lot of output in the low range of the instrument . When you are in the studio it is easier than onstage as the SPL (volume) is not loud. I have been real succesfull (to me anyway) in that quest. I use EA amps (iAmp500 with one 10 combo) and 1-15, or a 1-18 + 1-10 as an exstension cab

BL

BTW on one bass I use MTD strings (round) and on the other main fretted bass I use Labella 760 flats :bassist: