1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MOTU Uses all Burr Brown preamps...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JonathanD, Sep 6, 2008.

1. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Self Edit

Jonathan

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    RME > MOTU

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Recording gear and equipment...

On another note RME is very linux friendly, unlike my current rig. :(

4. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I just bought a 828mkIII , the reason I got it was because I needed a small digital board to mix my acoustic trio.
    This unit is AMAZING !! ( for the price )
    I use it to mix myself for either my monitor or inear too.

The compressor emulation of the LA2A is pretty good , not as good as the UAD1 but for live applications..... wow.
    And you have a full blown 5 band full parametric + LPF and HPF on each chanel.
    My live setup is a TD100 = FMR RNC = 828 .
    I am considering seriously by-passing the RNC. The comp section sounds a lot better in the 828.
    The preamps are very good too.

I have seen a thread on Gearslutz on a guy who posted a comparative test of a 828mkII ( yes mkII ) and an Apogee Rosetta.
    90% voted on a file and were all sure it was the Rosetta , but it was the 828! :smug:
    Try to find it..... I'll post it later , very funny.

People tend to snob MOTU products , maybe they should double the price , or triple it. And it is one the few products still made in the USA.

For your clocking question , I have an Apogee Bigben in my setup to clock everything and the 828mkIII behaves very well.
    It sounds very good in stand alone too.

Personaly , the reason I went for the 828 instead of the Ultralite is also because of the 2 ADAT I/O ( 16 chanels )

5. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    motu is a good company. They used to have issues with windows back in 98-2000, but a lot of issues back then were related to matrox cards. I remember the horror.

rme, motu, apogee..if you got the money, spend it.:hyper:

Im trading some engineering time for a digi 002 that Ill change the opamps out of.:)

6. I use a 896HD and have owned an original 828 and a Ultralight. I like the MOTU gear a lot, but mainly it is about good data throughput and good integration with my DAW. Reasons to go with other gear? I could see where something like an Apogee Duet, for instance, could be useful. RME makes good gear, and RME$$$ > MOTU$$$ on a per-channel basis, but I wouldn't switch just for the nameplate. Until you get into "real" pro quality converter and preamp setup (i.e. MP2NV pair into a Rosetta 200) there isn't a huge amount of difference. The consumer and prosumer gear is very much about bang/buck and not about bleeding edge performance. As much as I have never thought twice about my 896HD purchase, it is all about convenience and reliability. There are plenty of times where a top notch 2-channel rig without all of the "swiss army knife" features would be appreciated.

7. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    and actually most studios, even top dollar pro, use mostly rme, or motu, or lynx..if the lynx drivers will work. I'd like to see a uad-2 with adat ins and outs. that would be nice..