Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mount preamp on tailpiece

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jannejava, May 16, 2005.

1. jannejava

jannejava

Mar 28, 2004
    Sweden
    I am so feed up with forgeting to bring my preamp for my schertler stat-b. if I find a way to mount the preamp on the tailpiece, will this affect the overall acoustic sound of the bass? is this not to recommend? the preamp is not big but quite heavy for beeing so small.

regards, jan

2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I have left it at home more than once. Now I'm paranoid about it. I don't get 2 blocks from my house without stopping to make sure I have it. I haven't tried mounting it yet, but my tailpiece already has velcro on it from the previous owner.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bob Golihur sells a preamp mounting kit just for that purpose. www.urbbob.com. It's somewhere on there.

4. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I bought the pre-amp mounting kit from Bob when I bought my K&K pre-amp, but I'm not sure I like it. It works just as advertised but, as jannejava said, the pre-amp is quite heavy, and I'm not sure I like it down there on the tailpeice.

My favourite place to put the pre-amp is on the lower edge of my music stand, where it's right at my fingertips. But for gigs that don't require charts (like tonight's jazz-blues gig) I still haven't found a place I'm happy to put it.

5. philly

philly

Nov 20, 2004
    nyc
    With all due respect to bob gollihur, that mounting kit is funky at best.
    It doesn't hold the thing that tightly and the foam sponge thingy needs to be cut and shaped and still ends up stick out looking ugly. That said I dont think there's a problem with mounting per se, but rigging up your own deal with velcro straps and foam or some other vibration insulating material is probably just as good if not better.

And I know how you feel about forgetting things. It probably wont get better.

6. Packinmn

Packinmn

Jun 21, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I play blues gigs and here is what I do with my K&K preamp... I removed the belt clip thing and then put some small, non-slip rubber feet on the bottom. I set it on top of my amp head near the amp's input jack. I then run a short cable from the preamp output into the head. There's nothing attached to my bass and still have the freedom of movement that I would otherwise expect - granted I don't really move around a whole lot. The weight of the preamp combined with the non-slip feet seem to keep it from going anywhere under normal conditions (unless your normal conditions include drunks falling into your rig)!

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i use a 3m product that is velcro on steroids. one piece on the pre and another on the back of the tp.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't have a preamp but I have a wireless. I tape it to the tailpiece with duct tape, and I put a piece of outlet sealing foam to insulate it from the tailpiece. I don't like to do that, but it's the only way I've seen to make it hold without slipping off. Velcro is always prone to disaster.

9. I mounted my two channel K&K preamp on the backside of the tailpiece using a couple of black plastic cable ties through the A and D sting holes and around the preamp, cinched up nice and tight. Doesn't seem to affect the sound at all. I should prolly put a piece of foam in there to prevent rattling, but so far it hasn't been a problem. It's nice having the mike and pickup controls so easily accessible. Right now i've got a 3' stereo cord (shortest I could find) coiled up, again with cable ties. I'm gonna custom order an 8" cord to connect pickup to preamp and then I'm done.

10. I mounted my K&K pre using the Gollihur method, except with the knobs pointed up. I also used a longer, heavier black velcro strap, readily available @ my local home improvement store. It's long enough to go through the clip on the pre-amp, come through the E & G holes on the TP, wrap on itself, and then continue around the pre, back over the top of the TP (and itself again), and to the back of the pre/TP combo. No rattles, it's on there tight! Got the 12" cable from from Bob, and capture it with the wrap that goes all the way around the pre/TP. Looks clean enough. I can't tell any difference in the sound, but it's easy enough to take it off when playing strictly acoustic or when recording.

bro.craig

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    This is one of the reasons I got away from the belt-pack type preamp and tried the Sansamp Acoustic DI. It's a stomp-box format device and sits on the floor either right next to my bass or my amp. Much more convenient, and sounds good as well.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    +1 on the SansAmp. I tried one awhile back when my Raven Labs bit it for a while, and it sounded really great.

13. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have taken a look at the Tech 21 web site to learn more about the Sansamp unit. They have discontinued the Acoustic DI and replaced it with the Para Driver DI. However, I have a couple of questions:

1. Will the Sansamp Para DI provide phantom power to a Schertler Stat-B "pickup", eliminating the need for the little box that comes with the Schertler?

2. What kind of battery life could I expect to get from the Sansamp since I would prefer not use a power supply. The Sansamp would replace the small pre-amp/phantom power supply that comes with the Schertler StatB.

14. jannejava

jannejava

Mar 28, 2004
    Sweden
  15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Lownote: no, AFAIK none of the Tech 21 units supply power to a mic or other input device. I've used mine mostly with the mixer supplying phantom power to the Tech 21, but I seem to get about 6 months battery life otherwise. Changing batteries is a snap, in any case.

16. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks for reminding me of the earliear thread that I had forgotten

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showt...ighlight=stat-b
    I was hoping that the Sansamp could eliminate one box if I was to use it with my main upright but I guess not.

My primary interest in the Sansamp is to use it with an Eminence that I take with me to Scotland. My amp over there is an old GK MB150E that I had permanently converted to 240 volts and which I've always found to be problematic in terms of getting a good sound from upright. I'm also in the market to buy a modestly priced AUB in Scotland this Summer and am taking a Full Circle and a Revolution Solo pickup with me to install on the new bass if I can find one. While the Realist sounds about as good as any piezo can thru the GK, presumably because the Realist was designed to be used with bass guitar amps, I'm also assuming that the Rev Solo and FC will want a preamp.

A slight twist on this thread is to ask whether folks think I would like the Sansamp Para Driver or the Fishman Platinum better. They are both about the same price and seem about the same size. I would rather not be hauling my Ravenlab PMB 1 around with me for this purpose.

17. Hey Lownote! how ya doing? Great to meet you earlier in the year.
    I've got a GK MB150E and get a pretty darn good sound out of it by the simple expedient of lying it on its back. I had to get a mains lead with a right angle plug for obvious reasons. That crappy boxy midrange sound suddenly becomes full and satisfying. I've done quite a few jazz gigs now with just the GK on it's back. Not only can I hear myself perfectly, but so can the rest of the band.
    You been slapping that Eminence? LOL!!!

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Don't know about the FC but the Rev Solo needs no preamp.

19. That depends on the input stage of your amp. If you're using a piezo pickup (i.e. high output impedance) and an amp with a low input impedance, you will definitely need a preamp.

However, the input impedance of the GK is 1 Megohm, so you should be OK.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've heard that, but I've plugged my bass into a variety of amps...an SWR SM-500, an SVT, a 1966 Ampeg B-15N, a GK 700RB, a Whirlwind DI into my computer, and haven't needed a preamp yet. Neither has anyone else I know who's used the Rev Solo. Won't say there's not an amp that requires it to be preamped, but I haven't found one yet.