1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mountain Bike and MTB parts

Discussion in 'For Sale: Other Stuff (Not bass related)' started by paintandsk8, Apr 5, 2006.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    BIKE IS SOLD - Other items still available

Up for sale is a 2003 Giant AC-1 full suspension mountain bike. This bike is packed with great high end components (see list below). The bike does have some cosmetic damage (see pictures), and the rear deraileur needs some . It shifts the middle 7 gears beautifully, but I can't get it adjusted to shift the first or last gear well. It could just be an adjustment thing or it might need work, it hasn't bothered me enough to look into it. The rear brake disc was just replaced and has less than 10 miles on it. The tires are also very new and in great shape. I have the mud fender for the Marzocchi but not the bolts that hold it on. I’ll throw it in if you want it. I also have a couple water bottle cages I can throw in if you want them. The bike will be broken down and boxed by my local shop. I'm only selling because this bike has way more suspension than I need. I'm selling to buy a hardtail, maybe even a single speed.

Size - 18” (Medium)
    Fork - Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III
    Rear shock - Manitou Swinger coil 4 way (rebuilt recently)
    Rear Der - Shimano XT
    Front Der - Shimano Deore XT
    Shifters - Shimano Deore LX
    Cranks - Race Face Prodigy XC
    Pedals -Caged Shimano SPD
    Handlebar -Interloc Micro-rise
    Headset -Cane Creek Zero Stack
    Stem - Sette Edge 7 degree rise
    Brakes - Hayes 9 Hydraulic Disc w/ 8 in. rotors.
    Seatpost - Kalloy 27.2
    Saddle - Sette IXA Titanium
    Rims - Sun Rhyno Lite
    Hubs - Shimano XT
    Tires - Maxxis Hard drive 2.1 (practically brand new)
    Grips - Bontrager

$800 Shipped to a TB'er

PM with your e-mail for more detailed pics

28_3.

14_3.

2. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Cateye Enduro 8 cyclo computer - Comes with all mounting hardware and instruction manual.

$15 shipped

6db37.

Frisco DH/Freeride Stem: Light scratches and a chip in the finish on one corner of the face.

$15 shipped

075b6.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Guys, this is one heckuva deal. The brakes alone will set you back about half of the asking price. A very capable bike that can roll over a Toyota Prius without slowing down.

Put 2.5" tires on this thing and you can steamroll over anything!

4. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Message sent
    Would like the bike computer
    Bought a Giant Great Journey on Monday
    Looked through the Giant Catalogue and wish I had seen this bike earlier.

Thanks

Robert VanLane

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    quasi off topic: how do you like the race face cranks? i was looking to upgrade my stumpjumper to those or maybe even the carbon fiber cranks.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Carbon isn't highly recommended off road. It doesn't deal well with nicks and you do not want to suffer the consequences ... If it's string enough to deal with the scars, there is no weight savings. Basically it's a very expensive decal!

I had Race Face on a Rocky Slayer and it was good stuff. Strong. THey offer a lot of levels like everyone else so you have to know which Race Face to buy.

I have last year's XT on my Specialized. It's the hollow, outboard bearing style and I like that a lot. A bit lighter and stringer at the same time. The OB bearings are a good idea. If I were 9doing after-market cranks and bottom bracket - that's what I would do.

The roadies with are all over Carbon cranks. FSA seems to be the popular choice.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread! and Bump for a great price on a great bike. These were what - about $1800 to 2 grand new ? (Glad I'm a large, got too many bnikes inthe garage as it is...)

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have Race Face carbon cranks and Easton carbon bars that have over 7000 miles on them (transplanted from one mountain bike to another). There is no strength issue with carbon IMHO. Even my pedals are carbon (Time ATAC)

8. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yes, I have been tempted by many compact cars. :p

I like the raceface cranks fine, my last bike had specialized cranks. These cranks are better, but I don't think the amount of money and work to upgrade would be worth it for the amount of improvement unless your current cranks are worn out or damaged.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Absolutely +1. On a mtn bike you upgrade when it's dented, bent or broken... well sometimes not when it's dented or bent ...

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    my chainrings are worn and my bottom bracket feels like the bearings are shot. i was just gonna replace the whole section at once.

then it will be a new cassette for me.

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I would have a look at the XT outboard bearing setup. It's light and strong.

12. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Bike Sold outside of TB, everything else still available

13. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too