Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mountain

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Razor, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    One word....AWESOME!

Saw them in Ft. Worth at the Ridglea, totally intimate setting and those guys just destroyed!! Best thing to happen to a power trio since Cream.

They did a little multimedia Cream tribute video in the middle of their set that was really good...even knocked out a few Cream tunes with ease..Leslie and Corky were amazing and Leslie had, probably THE BEST live guitar tone I have ever heard.

Really glad I got to see those guys...that was a great experience.

2. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    Freakin mountain wailed man., My ears are still ringing.

-Rav

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    \MM/ yes....they did!

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I saw them in Detroit last spring, and they sucked, sorry, I love leslies sound from the early days (les Paul jr/marshall). Now he had some Zoom multi effects unit and a Floyd Rose gutiar, sounded like a bad Van Halen cover Band. What a disapointment, not to even talk about how arrogant leslie came across! Corky was cool, but the opening band (the muggs-les paul in twin and the guy wails) Kicked there butts. They were scedualed to come here next mounth, suddenly canceled. Maybe Leslies got education scince the last time I saw them. He did do a couple of acoustic things that were OK.

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Too bad I missed it. Damn weather :mad:

6. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL

This wasn't at all the case with the Ft. Worth show. His guitar sound was unreal good and he was anything but arrogant. It was a very intimate setting for a gig and he was interacting with the crowd alot. At one point he gave his pick to a guy in the front row and had the fan play the guitar for him as he fingered the chords.

He seemed very happy to be playing and you could tell he was having a really good time. All smiles and playing to the crowd.

Of course he used to live in Texas and was playing to a home state crowd and everyone was digging it so maybe that had something to do with it.

-Rav

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my band plays "never in my life". not as much as we used to unfortunately. great song.

8. Lucky..................I really dig Moutain. Does anyone know if they are still touring??? I wish theyd come to Mississippi , namesake of their most famous song.............

9. I remember an interview or article with Leslie West talking about sitting on the toilet playing guitar through a full stack cranked, just to feel his 'man parts' jiggle.

When I was in high school I saw an old Beat Club performance of "Don't Look Around" and I was hooked on Mountain.

Felix was amazing.

Who's playing bass for them now?

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    While it's nice to know that Leslie and Corky are still out there doing it, without Felix I just can't get into it. His bass work and vocals were just too integral to the band (not to mention his production of the albums). The few post-Felix recordings I've heard were mediocre at best.

11. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    Les mentioned during the show that Ozzy has a new record coming out thats all cover songs. One of them is Mississippi Queen with Ozzy singing and Les playing guitar. Should be interesting.

Said something about the title of the CD was "Songs I wish I had written"

-Rav

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    The first band I've ever seen.
    1969- Tea party-Boston.
    My older bro. worked there snuck me in.
    There 2nd, gig, they only knew 10 songs.
    Played the 10 songs, took a break came back and played the same 10 songs in reverse.
    They Killed, became a instant Felix fan.