Mountainking Electronics - fan thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dark Barn, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Hey bass dirt folks, this thread is just a place to talk about the great pedals made by Alan and his partner Nate at Mountainking Electronics.

It's not a club, I don't care to administer numbers or keep track of anything.

I'm among the biggest fans out there, I have owned every current production pedal at some point. and currently own a Heavy Machine and a Decomposer, both of which I love. I have owned a handful of one offs and rarities also; a Bog Beast, a Stone 128, the Channel Chief.

I'm not affiliated in any way but I do correspond with Alan a few times a year, in fact there are a few features on the current line up that arose from our correspondence. Alan doesn't do bespoke custom work, but he does listen to feedback and has always worked to make improvements to these circuits when they made sense to do so.

To start things off I will bust a Megalith myth that I have seen over the years, and asked Alan about recently. The Megalith is not a modified Muff or Fuzz Face. It shares similar topology to the Fuzz Face, but was designed by Alan using a schematic from an old electronics handbook. In his own words:

"Man, all these knuckleheads telling people that Megalith is based on or a modded version a Muff or Fuzz Face drive me freakin nuts! The brith of the Megalith is a page from a old electronics text book. It shows two very basic amplifier circuits, with no component values, with just a basic explanation of how the circuits work. One of the circuits is a very common amplifying circuit that Fuzz Face is based off but it's basically topology has been used in so many circuits, most of which have not been implemented into effect pedals. I spent years developing the Megalith and to have people who no jack poopie about electronics to shot their mouths off about me just taking someone elses design, tweaking it, and then calling it my own makes me want to punch a hole in a wall! Ugh.

Sure I've been influenced by other pedal designs. No one is reinventing wheel. But I am constantly looking for those "hidden channels", and I've been fortunate to find some of them..."

The hidden channels is what Mountainking is all about.

ulidoom and swspiers like this.
  2. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I love Alan and Moutainking!!! My boner for him is strong...I mean the line. LOL

ulidoom and Dark Barn like this.
  3. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I like his work and aesthetics. He's not too far from me. I wonder if he takes visitors???

Dark Barn likes this.
  4. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Email him and ask. If I lived in Philly I would. :)

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I love their pedals and I've owned the Behemoth I and II two of the best pedals ever built.

6. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I had the Stone 128, I really liked it. I am intrigued with the Behemoth. He seems to have something coming soon for the Heavy Machine

Dark Barn likes this.
  7. mrwood4

mrwood4 Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    I have a Stone128 and am really liking it. Exited to see how this thread goes.

8. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Alan told me about this a while ago, but asked me to keep it on the DL until it was ready. The switches will affect the tone, gain, and clipping, as I understand. But he didn't give me much more detail than that.

My Heavy Machine has the tone option hardwired with instructions of what component to clip if I didn't like it, the internal toggle will be much more useful. The clipping toggle has my curiosity up though, I might have to give it a try.

nshuman likes this.
  9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Over the past few years I've had Dirt Wars on gigs, including many highly-regarded ODs and Fuzz pedals.

The Behemoth II is my single favorite OD on bass. It is the Dirt War champion.

The Stone 128 is a uniquely-voiced bass boost that stacks well with other pedals and shines in the mix as a 'more heavy' option.

The Megalith is great as long as you don't mind scaring people and breaking stuff. :D

Great pedals voiced primarily for HEAVY DUTY BASS, and from what I can tell, they are original designs. I'm a fan.

10. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    I have an old school Magnetar and the newest version of the Decomposer. Both are fantastic and unique pedals!

There will be more Mountainking for me in the future, I'm sure, I'd like to try every single pedal, regular or special run. I hope, the Bog Beast will be soon a regular.

But most of all, I can't wait for his table top stuff to finally come out. @Dark Barn Do you know anything (you can share) about those? Spectrum Ripper?

11. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Sorry I got nothin! I've owned one tabletop instrument from Mounatinking, which I loved dearly and only sold due to financial hardship. It sounded great and it was built into a cute af piece of furniture, and old wooden antennae box. Found a pic of it on Matrixsynth:

%2524%2528KGrHqN%252C%2521hUE%252B8EQG%252C5RBQddh-5ufw%257E%257E60_57.jpg

I know he has some things in the works. Some of them will be production items judging from the silkscreened one he posted a photo of, but that's all I know and that's just a guess.

Fuzzonaut likes this.
  12. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    As a close follower of these dirt wars, I'm somewhat surprised I've never picked up a behemoth. Haven't heard a decent demo, but getting closer to ordering one

13. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    I'm still very happily chugging along with my Magnetar and my Maximum OD. I've never used a Megalith, but I did get to spend an hour toying with the Decomposer (way too much fun). Alan makes by far my favorite toys for bass. It's all just so cool.

14. I copped a Bog Beast prototype off of Reverb. I'm usually not a fan of gated fuzz, but this gets some massive, deep tones.

15. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    I used my buddies Megalith again last night (which he subsequently let me borrow). It's an old one with the printed labels.

Thing crushed as usual.

My buddy complains that it's too big for his board.

I bet they'd well to make a shrunken version too.

16. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    The Maximum OD was one of the old production units that always had my interest, then it disappeared for the website revamp. Maybe some day it will come back. Jealous of that one.

17. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    It's a dark overdrive, very cool, but nowhere near as crazy as the rest of his stuff. I hope he makes more some day.

18. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW

@Dark Barn will correct me if I am wrong, but I think they are all 1590bb enclosures now.

Dark Barn likes this.
  19. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I'm not sure about the Megalith, the rest are for sure. I believe the Megalith will be if it isn't currently, but Alan had 1590DD boxes silkscreened for Megaliths that he wanted to sell first.

20. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Unfortunately my guy motioned to his Boss pedals as the size he would prefer.

I prefer bigger pedals but I can see the appeal for dudes with tight boards.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021